Local Elections: Ukip and Tories square off for last time before Havering election
- Credit: Archant
Ukip has launched an attack on the Romford Conservative Association for publishing “misinformation” in the lead-up to the election, but the Tories have hit back, claiming their literature is accurate.
Cllr Lawrence Webb, leader of the Eurosceptic Havering party, has claimed “desperate times call for desperate measures” after leaflets were distributed in Hylands ward, referencing “Tebbutt’s Ukip,” referring to candidate Alby Tebbutt, a former member of the Romford Conservatives (RCA).
It goes on to call Mr Tebbutt “the angry man of Romford” who has “long tried to take over the town hall.”
Cllr Webb said: “They have wrongly called it Alby Tebbutt’s Ukip, and it’s negative campaiging. There is a lot of misinformation being published. We are focusing on positive campaiging.”
Cllr Osman Dervish, chairman of the RCA and the man who defeated Alby Tebbutt in the battle to become head of the association, said: “I don’t think it is misinformation. It’s very much the truth of the matter. Some of our ex-members were directly approached by Alby. I don’t know any organisation where the person who’s not in charge does that.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Tebbutt was also unhappy with the RCA’s tactics, and hit back at claims by Romford Conservative MP Andrew Rosindell that elder members of the association had “deserted” the party after defecting to Ukip, including the Mayor, Cllr Eric Munday and another five Tory councillors.
“Andrew Rosindell should ask why so many experienced members of his party are leaving. It is because of him and the group he has brought in, who are there for, I believe, the wrong reasons. As the MP he should be representing Romford, not travelling the world looking at animals. He could have gone to zoos in this country and seen all of the animals he has seen, and more.”
- 1 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 2 Lower Thames Crossing: How would Upminster be affected?
- 3 Romford ‘best in region’ chef shares his cooking tip and favourite dish
- 4 Road and rail disruptions coming up over the coming week
- 5 Meet the Olympians from east London and Brentwood
- 6 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens charged with murder to face court
- 7 Local high street rewards scheme launched in Brentwood
- 8 'Disgraceful': Ex-estate agent sentenced for Chris Whitty assault
- 9 Harold Hill man pleads guilty to Chris Whitty assault
- 10 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens plead not guilty to murder
Mr Rosindell said there had been “no exposure” of what Mr Tebbutt is trying to do, which is “pursue a vendetta” against the RCA, which he said conducts its campaigns “correctly.”