Local Elections: Ukip and Tories square off for last time before Havering election
- Credit: Archant
Ukip has launched an attack on the Romford Conservative Association for publishing “misinformation” in the lead-up to the election, but the Tories have hit back, claiming their literature is accurate.
Cllr Lawrence Webb, leader of the Eurosceptic Havering party, has claimed “desperate times call for desperate measures” after leaflets were distributed in Hylands ward, referencing “Tebbutt’s Ukip,” referring to candidate Alby Tebbutt, a former member of the Romford Conservatives (RCA).
It goes on to call Mr Tebbutt “the angry man of Romford” who has “long tried to take over the town hall.”
Cllr Webb said: “They have wrongly called it Alby Tebbutt’s Ukip, and it’s negative campaiging. There is a lot of misinformation being published. We are focusing on positive campaiging.”
Cllr Osman Dervish, chairman of the RCA and the man who defeated Alby Tebbutt in the battle to become head of the association, said: “I don’t think it is misinformation. It’s very much the truth of the matter. Some of our ex-members were directly approached by Alby. I don’t know any organisation where the person who’s not in charge does that.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Tebbutt was also unhappy with the RCA’s tactics, and hit back at claims by Romford Conservative MP Andrew Rosindell that elder members of the association had “deserted” the party after defecting to Ukip, including the Mayor, Cllr Eric Munday and another five Tory councillors.
“Andrew Rosindell should ask why so many experienced members of his party are leaving. It is because of him and the group he has brought in, who are there for, I believe, the wrong reasons. As the MP he should be representing Romford, not travelling the world looking at animals. He could have gone to zoos in this country and seen all of the animals he has seen, and more.”
- 1 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 2 East London police officer charged with rape
- 3 Brentwood deaths: Teen charged with double murder to appear in court
- 4 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 5 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 6 ATMs to be reinstalled in shopping mall in 'more prominent location'
- 7 Brentwood Halloween event cancelled following tragic deaths
- 8 End 8am scramble to secure GP appointments, watchdog warns
- 9 Romford man gets community order for causing pensioner's crash death
- 10 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
Mr Rosindell said there had been “no exposure” of what Mr Tebbutt is trying to do, which is “pursue a vendetta” against the RCA, which he said conducts its campaigns “correctly.”