Hornchurch revamp is approved
Plans to revamp Hornchurch town centre have been given the go-ahead.
Havering Council’s highways and advisory committee approved the proposals last week.
The authority will now submit plans to Transport for London for final permission, funding and detailed designs.
The work will concentrate on the town centre by removing railings and street furniture, improving the road and pavements; moving pedestrian crossings; and making more space for more buses to stop simultaneously.
The council will also put in more trees and plants; install new lighting and put up maps and information boards.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Robert Benham, cabinet member for community engagement, said: “This scheme aims to make the High Street safer and more attractive for residents, shoppers and businesses by clearing clutter and installing new crossings.
“The planting of more tree and flowerbeds will also complement the history and heritage of Hornchurch.
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 3 Heritage: Is it Romford or Rumford? You decide
- 4 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 5 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 6 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 7 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 8 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 9 One teenager dead in Harold Wood triple stabbing
- 10 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?
“Hopefully, it will attract even more people to the High Street, increasing trade for local shops and businesses in the area.”
Cllr Andrew Curtin, cabinet member for towns and communities with special responsibility for culture added: “This is great news for residents and visitors to Hornchurch, and will make it easier and better to shop, move about and live there.”
However, Cllr John Mylod (Residents’ Association) said parts of the plans were unsafe.
He said: “We expressed our concerns that we were not happy the new pedestrian walk-way is in the middle of the road and there will be no handrails.
“We think it will be unsafe. They (the council) have not listened to the residents.
“There were 138 people at the meeting, who were not all against the whole plans, but most objected to the loss of handrails, the left-hand turn at North Street and the removal of the zebra crossing to make way for the new pedestrian walk-ways.”