Havering residents honoured in New Years’ honours list
An MP, justice of the peace and catering assistant – these are some of the Havering residents recognised in the New Year’s Honours List.
Hornchurch and Upminster MP Angela Watkinson has been made a Dame for public and political service.
Ms Watkinson has been an member of parliament since 2001, and stood down as a Conservative party whip in September, after nearly seven years in the role.
The former Havering and Essex County councillor has also been a school governor and was shadow education minister and shadow local government minister while the party was in opposition.
She told the Recorder: “This is most unexpected. Public service brings its own reward but to have it acknowledged in this way is a great honour.”
You may also want to watch:
Shelagh Fay Deadman, from Hornchurch, children and young people’s inspection team leader at HM Inspector of Prisons, has been given an OBE.
Dr Madhu Lata Pathak JP, has been awarded an MBE for her services to the community in Romford.
- 1 Romford drama students to feature alongside celebrities in new WW2 film
- 2 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 3 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 4 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 5 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 6 Case for release of Gallows Corner upgrade funds is in pipeline, TfL says
- 7 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for east London
- 8 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 9 120-home development on Harold Hill college site approved
- 10 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
Hornchurch resident Alan Sanderson has been given an MBE for services to the energy industry. Mr Sanderson is the plant manager at Kingsnorth Power Station in Kent.
Romford resident Sandra Coats has been given the Empire Medal for services to Further Education. Mrs Coats is a catering assistant at Barking and Dagenham College.
Do you know those honoured? What do you think of their achievements? Leave your comment below, call the newsdesk 020 8477 3796 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.