Havering residents honoured in New Years’ honours list
An MP, justice of the peace and catering assistant – these are some of the Havering residents recognised in the New Year’s Honours List.
Hornchurch and Upminster MP Angela Watkinson has been made a Dame for public and political service.
Ms Watkinson has been an member of parliament since 2001, and stood down as a Conservative party whip in September, after nearly seven years in the role.
The former Havering and Essex County councillor has also been a school governor and was shadow education minister and shadow local government minister while the party was in opposition.
She told the Recorder: “This is most unexpected. Public service brings its own reward but to have it acknowledged in this way is a great honour.”
You may also want to watch:
Shelagh Fay Deadman, from Hornchurch, children and young people’s inspection team leader at HM Inspector of Prisons, has been given an OBE.
Dr Madhu Lata Pathak JP, has been awarded an MBE for her services to the community in Romford.
- 1 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 2 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 3 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 4 Brentwood deaths: Teen charged with double murder to appear in court
- 5 Two in hospital after crash in Upminster involving 'stolen' van
- 6 Men questioned and 200 hours of CCTV seized after boys killed in Brentwood
- 7 End 8am scramble to secure GP appointments, watchdog warns
- 8 Post delays reported in Harold Hill as Royal Mail confirms staff shortages
- 9 ATMs to be reinstalled in shopping mall in 'more prominent location'
- 10 Eight arrested on suspicion of murder following death of two teens
Hornchurch resident Alan Sanderson has been given an MBE for services to the energy industry. Mr Sanderson is the plant manager at Kingsnorth Power Station in Kent.
Romford resident Sandra Coats has been given the Empire Medal for services to Further Education. Mrs Coats is a catering assistant at Barking and Dagenham College.
Do you know those honoured? What do you think of their achievements? Leave your comment below, call the newsdesk 020 8477 3796 or email email@example.com.