Havering residents honoured in New Years’ honours list
An MP, justice of the peace and catering assistant – these are some of the Havering residents recognised in the New Year’s Honours List.
Hornchurch and Upminster MP Angela Watkinson has been made a Dame for public and political service.
Ms Watkinson has been an member of parliament since 2001, and stood down as a Conservative party whip in September, after nearly seven years in the role.
The former Havering and Essex County councillor has also been a school governor and was shadow education minister and shadow local government minister while the party was in opposition.
She told the Recorder: “This is most unexpected. Public service brings its own reward but to have it acknowledged in this way is a great honour.”
Shelagh Fay Deadman, from Hornchurch, children and young people’s inspection team leader at HM Inspector of Prisons, has been given an OBE.
Dr Madhu Lata Pathak JP, has been awarded an MBE for her services to the community in Romford.
- 1 Campion pupil Thorne chasing Commonwealth Games glory
- 2 'Totally gutted’: Hornchurch nightclub owner vows to appeal after opening hours extension refused
- 3 Upminster fire: 80 firefighters tackle grassland blaze as warm weather continues
- 4 Kem Cetinay: Love Island star offers ‘deepest condolences’ after fatal motorcycle collision
- 5 Romford World Naked Bike Ride: How protest sits at the heart of the nude cycle
- 6 Motorcyclist dies after collision with car on Shepherds Hill
- 7 Solution to blaze hotspot in Rainham may take 'some time' to find, residents warned
- 8 ‘It winds me up’: Cleanliness of Romford’s South Street slammed
- 9 Hornchurch police station: No movement on purchase plan as assurances sought about station's future
- 10 Forests between Dagenham and Brentwood to benefit from mass plantations amid £40 million investment
Hornchurch resident Alan Sanderson has been given an MBE for services to the energy industry. Mr Sanderson is the plant manager at Kingsnorth Power Station in Kent.
Romford resident Sandra Coats has been given the Empire Medal for services to Further Education. Mrs Coats is a catering assistant at Barking and Dagenham College.
Do you know those honoured? What do you think of their achievements? Leave your comment below, call the newsdesk 020 8477 3796 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.