Councillors criticise Havering’s road surfaces during council budget meeting
- Credit: Archant
Road surfaces across the borough came in for harsh criticism as Havering’s budget passed through the council chamber last night.
“I think we would all agree the need to spend more on road repairs,” said Cllr Keith Darvill. “It’s still a big way to go before the roads in the borough are anything like what we would all like.”
But Cllr Jeff Tucker said Havering’s roads were in good condition – compared with those in Nigeria.
In a speech branded “incoherent” by Cllr Ray Morgon (RA, Hacton), he said: “If anybody ever gets the opportunity to go to Nigeria, don’t take your car there.
“When I’ve been away to those places and come back to Havering and look at our potholes, we’ve got nothing to complain about.”
The council announced an extra £1m would be spent on repairing pavements and roads this year, bringing the total budget for 2013 to 2015 to £5m.
- 1 'Stop being so disgusting': Hornchurch mother's outrage at delivery drivers urinating on her house
- 2 Aldi given nod to open at former Mothercare branch in Romford
- 3 Upminster bridal boutique gives back to frontline workers with £50 wedding dresses
- 4 Hornchurch Japanese restaurant rejects licensing officer's advice over late opening application
- 5 NHS staff protest mandatory vaccinations outside Queen's Hospital
- 6 Man found not guilty of attempted murder in Brentwood
- 7 Knife seized in Hornchurch as part of neighbourhood patrol
- 8 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 9 Construction company asks to make changes to approved 40-flat development in Romford
- 10 Romford's South Street reacts to BBC licence fee announcement