Councillors criticise Havering’s road surfaces during council budget meeting
- Credit: Archant
Road surfaces across the borough came in for harsh criticism as Havering’s budget passed through the council chamber last night.
“I think we would all agree the need to spend more on road repairs,” said Cllr Keith Darvill. “It’s still a big way to go before the roads in the borough are anything like what we would all like.”
But Cllr Jeff Tucker said Havering’s roads were in good condition – compared with those in Nigeria.
In a speech branded “incoherent” by Cllr Ray Morgon (RA, Hacton), he said: “If anybody ever gets the opportunity to go to Nigeria, don’t take your car there.
“When I’ve been away to those places and come back to Havering and look at our potholes, we’ve got nothing to complain about.”
You may also want to watch:
The council announced an extra £1m would be spent on repairing pavements and roads this year, bringing the total budget for 2013 to 2015 to £5m.
- 1 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 2 Demolition 'will now begin' to make way for 120 homes at former campus
- 3 Signals at Hornchurch 'crash hotspot' now under review
- 4 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 5 Altered timetable means fewer fast trains between Romford and Liverpool Street
- 6 Ex-cop quizzed by police amid historic child sex investigation
- 7 Sixth form denies knowledge of alleged A Level 'no confidence vote'
- 8 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 9 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 10 ‘It was odd’: Nurse who battled breast cancer retires after 30 years