Council: ‘Urgent action’ to tackle multiple occupancy houses to be discussed
- Credit: Archant
Properties which house numerous tenants are to be tackled by Havering Council.
Councillors voted at last night’s full council meeting for the issue of houses in multiple occupation (HMOs) to be discussed by cabinet members, so “urgent action” can be taken.
Ukip councillors had submitted a motion calling on the council to make an Article 4 Direction in Harold Hill, which would require all developers converting properties to apply for planning permission - however many storeys the building had.
But the East Havering Residents’ Group’s amendment was passed, which called for action to be taken in Harold Hill and any other affected areas, but required the matter go through cabinet.
Members of all parties spoke about the problems they believe HMOs can cause in communities.
You may also want to watch:
Labour leader Cllr Keith Darvill (Heaton) said residents’ rights had been “eroded”, while Cllr Lawrence Webb (Gooshays, Ukip) said if the council did not act now it would be “setting a problem for the future”.
Last week, the Recorder reported on a public meeting about HMOs, held at myplace, in Dagnam Park Drive, Harold Hill.
- 1 Illegal car meet in Rainham sees 49 fined for Covid breaches
- 2 Letters: Social distancing, vaccination experience and how to stop catalytic converter thefts
- 3 Infection rates are now falling in Havering - is lockdown working?
- 4 Romford MP hails charity's 'extraordinary' work during Covid pandemic
- 5 70% of Havering residents voted to leave the EU
- 6 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 7 Charity boss hails response after 'army of volunteers' come forward to support vaccine centres
- 8 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
- 9 Sonic boom heard across east London, Essex and Cambridge
- 10 Testing site for people without Covid symptoms opens in Elm Park
See more on this story and the meeting in tomorrow’s paper and online.