Cash available for Brentwood groups helping the ‘Big Society’
Groups in Brentwood are being given the opportunity to bid for a share of �42,500 from a local ‘Big Society’ fund.
Brentwood Council is offering the cash for causes and projects that will help support or improve the quality of life of local people.
The fund – called The Brentwood Share – opened on Monday and groups can bid until February 10.
Cllr Russell Quirk, chair of the asset, infrastructure & localism panel, said: “The best ideas about how and where to make improvements in communities often come from the people who live in them.
“This fund has been set up to make sure that people in our borough have the chance to put the Big Society into action and play an active part in developing their own local initiatives to enhance and enrich their local communities and the lives of other local people.
“There really is a huge scope for the range of initiatives and ideas this fund can support and invest in.
“Whether it’s towards building skills, improving your local spaces and places, or making them safer, the opportunity is there. Let’s make each grant go a long way.”
- 1 Aldi given nod to open at former Mothercare branch in Romford
- 2 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 3 Hornchurch Japanese restaurant rejects licensing officer's advice over late opening application
- 4 Aklu Plaza submits plans to convert third floor into banqueting suite
- 5 Romford's South Street reacts to BBC licence fee announcement
- 6 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Construction company asks to make changes to approved 40-flat development in Romford
- 8 Mum-of-two honoured by US president Joe Biden
- 9 Campaigner glee as 560 trees saved from 'overzealous' railway works
- 10 Rainham councillors publish 'plan B' for Beam Park transport links
The bids need to meet one or more of the following criteria to be considered:
- Enhance and protect the local environment.
- Help to keep streets clean or reduce and recycle waste.
- Support vulnerable people living in our communities.
- Enhance the safety of local communities through addressing anti social behavior and crime.
- Maximise local business, economic and employment opportunities.
- Enhance community well being and quality of life.
A decision on the bids will be made by the council’s asset panel on February 28.
For more information about the bidding process visit www.brentwood.gov.uk or call 01277 312 634.