Campaigners take protest over Dagnam Park solar park plans to Havering town hall
- Credit: Archant
Campaigners opposing plans to build a solar park on land next to a nature reserve will hold a protest before presenting a petition to councillors tonight (Wednesday).
It follows allegations that a Havering Council officer who deals with objections wrote anonymously on a public forum championing proposals.
The council wants to build solar parks in Gerpins Lane, Corbets Tey, Upminster and land adjacent to Dagnam Park, Harold Hill, but residents and charities have raised concerns about the effect on wildlife. Last week the authority confirmed it was investigating claims an officer made comments about the plans online using an alias.
Administrators for the Havering Forum noticed a user called “Rastaozzie” was linked to an email account they believe belongs to an officer who deals with objections.
A council spokeswoman said: “We are aware of the allegations. The matter is under internal investigation and we are unable to comment further.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Lawrence Webb (Ukip) will also put forward a motion at tonight’s full council meeting at Havering Town Hall calling for the council to conduct a poll before deciding whether to introduce the solar parks.
And Cllr Denis O’Flynn (Labour) will ask when environmental impact and deer impact assessments will be available in relation to the proposal for Dagnam Park.
- 1 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 2 Demolition 'will now begin' to make way for 120 homes at former campus
- 3 Signals at Hornchurch 'crash hotspot' now under review
- 4 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 5 Altered timetable means fewer fast trains between Romford and Liverpool Street
- 6 Ex-cop quizzed by police amid historic child sex investigation
- 7 Sixth form denies knowledge of alleged A Level 'no confidence vote'
- 8 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 9 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 10 ‘It was odd’: Nurse who battled breast cancer retires after 30 years
See the Recorder for a report from tonight’s meeting.