Campaigners take protest over Dagnam Park solar park plans to Havering town hall
- Credit: Archant
Campaigners opposing plans to build a solar park on land next to a nature reserve will hold a protest before presenting a petition to councillors tonight (Wednesday).
It follows allegations that a Havering Council officer who deals with objections wrote anonymously on a public forum championing proposals.
The council wants to build solar parks in Gerpins Lane, Corbets Tey, Upminster and land adjacent to Dagnam Park, Harold Hill, but residents and charities have raised concerns about the effect on wildlife. Last week the authority confirmed it was investigating claims an officer made comments about the plans online using an alias.
Administrators for the Havering Forum noticed a user called “Rastaozzie” was linked to an email account they believe belongs to an officer who deals with objections.
A council spokeswoman said: “We are aware of the allegations. The matter is under internal investigation and we are unable to comment further.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Lawrence Webb (Ukip) will also put forward a motion at tonight’s full council meeting at Havering Town Hall calling for the council to conduct a poll before deciding whether to introduce the solar parks.
And Cllr Denis O’Flynn (Labour) will ask when environmental impact and deer impact assessments will be available in relation to the proposal for Dagnam Park.
- 1 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 2 Mum-of-two's long-term home 'nightmare' amid housing crisis
- 3 Jailed: Dagenham car burglar after 100mph pursuit in Romford
- 4 Met officers used 'excessive force' during Romford fight
- 5 Romford student receives Amazon bursary for women studying computer science
- 6 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 7 Sensory room in Harold Hill school gets new mural
- 8 Heritage: Is it Romford or Rumford? You decide
- 9 Woman 'repulsed and sick' after finding bug in Lidl yoghurt
- 10 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
See the Recorder for a report from tonight’s meeting.