Campaigners take protest over Dagnam Park solar park plans to Havering town hall
- Credit: Archant
Campaigners opposing plans to build a solar park on land next to a nature reserve will hold a protest before presenting a petition to councillors tonight (Wednesday).
It follows allegations that a Havering Council officer who deals with objections wrote anonymously on a public forum championing proposals.
The council wants to build solar parks in Gerpins Lane, Corbets Tey, Upminster and land adjacent to Dagnam Park, Harold Hill, but residents and charities have raised concerns about the effect on wildlife. Last week the authority confirmed it was investigating claims an officer made comments about the plans online using an alias.
Administrators for the Havering Forum noticed a user called “Rastaozzie” was linked to an email account they believe belongs to an officer who deals with objections.
A council spokeswoman said: “We are aware of the allegations. The matter is under internal investigation and we are unable to comment further.”
Cllr Lawrence Webb (Ukip) will also put forward a motion at tonight’s full council meeting at Havering Town Hall calling for the council to conduct a poll before deciding whether to introduce the solar parks.
And Cllr Denis O’Flynn (Labour) will ask when environmental impact and deer impact assessments will be available in relation to the proposal for Dagnam Park.
- 1 Road closures in place after Romford flat fire
- 2 Firefighters rush to tackle Rainham grass fire
- 3 Man threatened and robbed of iPhone and bank card at Romford station
- 4 'What about vulnerable people?’: Couple protest parking ticket from Gallows Corner Tesco after alleged ‘double dipping’ issue
- 5 The Bitter End: Former Romford pub for sale again, with draft plan indicating it could be turned into 35 flats
- 6 ‘Great response’ in Romford at its inaugural World Naked Bike Ride event
- 7 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 8 Romford man charged after Essex Police investigation into sale of drugs in Chelmsford
- 9 Hammers stars surprise hospital patients and staff
- 10 Havering Council’s cabinet: Who are they and what are their backgrounds?
See the Recorder for a report from tonight’s meeting.