Brentwood library to reduce its hours
BRENTWOOD Library is set to close on Sundays under proposals put forward by Essex County Council.
The plans are currently out for consultation, on which residents are given a choice of two options – both of which include Sunday closure for the building in New Road.
Library users and Liberal Democrat councillors staged a protest against the plans last Sunday.
Borough Cllr Karen Chilvers said: “This consultation is a farce. No usage figures have been provided by Essex County Council in the consultation.
“It simply looks at population and works out a proposal on hours as a percentage of catchment.”
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Essex County Council said that the figures used had been based on calculating all registered library users in local areas and that the authority was addressing a historic imbalance in services across the county.
People who want their views taken into account can contact Susan Carragher, Director of Libraries and Culture, Room 11, Library Headquarters, Goldlay Gardens, Chelmsford, Essex CM2 0EW or they can use the online comments form at www.essex. gov.uk. The consultation runs until March 27.
- 1 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 2 Demolition 'will now begin' to make way for 120 homes at former campus
- 3 Signals at Hornchurch 'crash hotspot' now under review
- 4 Altered timetable means fewer fast trains between Romford and Liverpool Street
- 5 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 6 Ex-cop quizzed by police amid historic child sex investigation
- 7 Sixth form denies knowledge of alleged A Level 'no confidence vote'
- 8 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 9 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 10 ‘It was odd’: Nurse who battled breast cancer retires after 30 years