Brentwood library to reduce its hours
BRENTWOOD Library is set to close on Sundays under proposals put forward by Essex County Council.
The plans are currently out for consultation, on which residents are given a choice of two options – both of which include Sunday closure for the building in New Road.
Library users and Liberal Democrat councillors staged a protest against the plans last Sunday.
Borough Cllr Karen Chilvers said: “This consultation is a farce. No usage figures have been provided by Essex County Council in the consultation.
“It simply looks at population and works out a proposal on hours as a percentage of catchment.”
A spokesman for Essex County Council said that the figures used had been based on calculating all registered library users in local areas and that the authority was addressing a historic imbalance in services across the county.
People who want their views taken into account can contact Susan Carragher, Director of Libraries and Culture, Room 11, Library Headquarters, Goldlay Gardens, Chelmsford, Essex CM2 0EW or they can use the online comments form at www.essex. gov.uk. The consultation runs until March 27.
- 1 'Stop being so disgusting': Hornchurch mother's outrage at delivery drivers urinating on her house
- 2 Upminster bridal boutique gives back to frontline workers with £50 wedding dresses
- 3 Hornchurch Japanese restaurant rejects licensing officer's advice over late opening application
- 4 Knife seized in Hornchurch as part of neighbourhood patrol
- 5 WATCH: Man accelerates towards unconscious victim outside Sugar Hut
- 6 Man found not guilty of attempted murder in Brentwood
- 7 Aldi given nod to open at former Mothercare branch in Romford
- 8 NHS staff protest mandatory vaccinations outside Queen's Hospital
- 9 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 10 Romford's South Street reacts to BBC licence fee announcement