BREAKING: Havering council leader to step down
- Credit: Archant
Councillor Michael White last night announced he is to step down as leader of Havering Council.
He broke the shock news at a Conservative Party meeting after returning from holiday in Africa.
The decision comes just months before the Havering Council elections.
It is believed a job offer presents a conflict of interest for Cllr White.
Deputy council leader, Cllr Steven Kelly, will take the reigns in the lead-up to the election with Cllr Michael Armstrong serving as his deputy.
You may also want to watch:
Visit the website throughout the day for more.
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 3 Heritage: Is it Romford or Rumford? You decide
- 4 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 5 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 6 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 7 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 8 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 9 One teenager dead in Harold Wood triple stabbing
- 10 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering