BREAKING: Havering council leader to step down
- Credit: Archant
Councillor Michael White last night announced he is to step down as leader of Havering Council.
He broke the shock news at a Conservative Party meeting after returning from holiday in Africa.
The decision comes just months before the Havering Council elections.
It is believed a job offer presents a conflict of interest for Cllr White.
Deputy council leader, Cllr Steven Kelly, will take the reigns in the lead-up to the election with Cllr Michael Armstrong serving as his deputy.
You may also want to watch:
Visit the website throughout the day for more.
- 1 Demolition 'will now begin' to make way for 120 homes at former campus
- 2 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 3 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 4 Rainham flat ravaged by late night blaze
- 5 Signals at Hornchurch 'crash hotspot' now under review
- 6 Covid-19: How has Havering fared over the last four weeks?
- 7 Trust celebrating Hornchurch history opens new permanent heritage centre
- 8 Campaigners ‘overjoyed’ and developer to 'consider its next steps' following Gallows Corner Tesco refusal
- 9 Romford church to offer new debt support scheme
- 10 Application to install 5G mast in Cranham refused