BREAKING: Havering council leader to step down
- Credit: Archant
Councillor Michael White last night announced he is to step down as leader of Havering Council.
He broke the shock news at a Conservative Party meeting after returning from holiday in Africa.
The decision comes just months before the Havering Council elections.
It is believed a job offer presents a conflict of interest for Cllr White.
Deputy council leader, Cllr Steven Kelly, will take the reigns in the lead-up to the election with Cllr Michael Armstrong serving as his deputy.
Visit the website throughout the day for more.
- 1 Aldi given nod to open at former Mothercare branch in Romford
- 2 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 3 Aklu Plaza submits plans to convert third floor into banqueting suite
- 4 Hornchurch Japanese restaurant rejects licensing officer's advice over late opening application
- 5 Romford's South Street reacts to BBC licence fee announcement
- 6 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Construction company asks to make changes to approved 40-flat development in Romford
- 8 Man and woman arrested following Hornchurch stabbing
- 9 Mum-of-two honoured by US president Joe Biden
- 10 Rainham councillors publish 'plan B' for Beam Park transport links