Leaky defence a concern for Daggers boss
Still focuses on clean sheets after Hartlepool comeback
DAGGERS boss John Still has urged his side to become more resolute after watching them again surrender a lead against Hartlepool United on Saturday.
The home side went ahead in the 49th minute thanks to an own goal, before conceding an equaliser in injury time when Gary Liddle’s shot deflected off Mark Arber.
Despite missing several earlier chances to score in the contest, Still’s current concerns are with the team’s defensive stability.
“When results are not great people panic a little bit. That’s all it is,” he said. “That actually shows me how much they care to be honest, it’s a duel-edged sword.
You may also want to watch:
“They put the big man (Armann Bjornsson) on in the second half and they were a big side who were putting a lot of balls into the box.
“We brought Phil Walsh on to try and combat that and the problem you get in a game like that isn’t the ball into the big man, as you can sometimes stop that, but it’s getting the regain off of it. That was what was causing us a problem.”
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 3 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 4 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Severe flooding in Havering and Dagenham as "tornado" hits Barking
- 6 Romford drama students to feature alongside celebrities in new WW2 film
- 7 Primary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 9 Get clued up on road and train disruptions coming to the area
- 10 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
He added: “We should be able to win 1-0. With the greatest respect, at this level, with our resources we are never going to get 20- or 25 (chances).
“I’m way beyond that. That never concerns me. We have to learn how to win 1-0.”
Still’s defensive options have been boosted by the return to training of Abu Ogogo and Will Antwi.
Both rejoined the squad before the Hartlepool game and could be in contention for selection against Leyton Orient on Saturday.