League One: Walsall 1 Dagenham & Redbridge 0
Match report from the the Bescott Stadium
Substitute Will Grigg scored late on to give Walsall a deserved three points in their basement batle with Dagenham & Redbridge.
The hosts, below Daggers in the table heading into the game, showed all the characteristics of their revival under new manager Dean Smith.
The attacking quarter, spearheaded by former Manchester City striker Jon Macken, created numerous chances in both halves, but were frequently thwarted by impressive centre back pairing Mark Arber and Scott Doe or keeper Tony Roberts.
The second half was a relentless wave of Walsall pressure, but the game looked destined to end in a stalemate as the Welsh keeper kept up his recent impressive form.
You may also want to watch:
However, on 82 minutes Macken raced through on goal and held off his marker, before delicately rolling into into the path of Grigg.
The substitute, whose introduction had been booed upon his arrival by home fans disappointed to see Alex Nicholls leave the field.
- 1 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 2 Town centre app launches to entice shoppers to Romford
- 3 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 4 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 5 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 6 Romford Tesco Extra plants trees to offset car emissions
- 7 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 8 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 9 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 10 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
The young Irishman soon won over the Saddlers faithful though with a composed finish to curl round Roberts and put his side in the lead at a crucial.
Daggers, for whom the loss ended a three-game unbeaten run, threw on Gavin Tomlin late on in search of an equaliser, but the opportunity never came.
In fact, the whole performance was lacking spark from the visiting side who have now missed a valuable opportunity to put daylight between themselves and one of their main relegation rivals.
Daggers: Roberts, Ogogo, Doe, Arber, Ilesanmi, Green (Tomlin, 87 mins), Vincelot, Taiwo, Scannell (Morgan, 69 mins), Nurse, Savage.
Subs not used: McCrory, Currie, Bingham, Walsh, Lewington.
Walsall: Walker, Westlake, Lescott, Lancashire, Richards, Macken, Nicholls (Grigg, 74 mins), Taundry, Gray, Gill, Butler.
Subs not used: McDonald, Smith, Marshall, Paterson, Williams, Bevan.
Referee: Phil Gibbs
Attendance: 3,174, including 120 travelling supporters.