League One: Dagenham & Redbridge 2 Swindon Town 1
Scanell and Savage strike to stun Swindon
Damian Scannell put in a man of the match performance on his first league start for Dagenham & Redbridge as they came behind to beat Swindon Town on Saturday.
The final score looked an unlikely one after just 50 seconds, when Robins left back Michael Rose’s cross was met by Togolese international Thomas Dossevi, whose header looped over goalkeeper Tony Roberts and into the net.
Bas Savage forced a point-blank save out of Swindon keeper David Lucas, but otherwise the visitors were comfortable in possession in a largely uneventful first period.
The turning point came three minutes after the restart when Gavin Tomlin found Scannell on the left and the former Southend United winger Scannell took a touch infield, before burying his shot into the bottom right-hand corner.
The home side suddenly took control, with Lucas making two more saves from Scannell, before the ball to Savage on 80 minutes, which he placed into the net on the turn from 10 yards out.
Swindon, including substitute debutant Billy Bodin, pushed for an equalizer, but Roberts made a superb save from a Jon-Paul McGovern shot as Daggers held on for three points.
- 1 Hornchurch school puts latest outstanding rating down to 'perfect synergy'
- 2 Woman who 'glued neighbour's door shut' ordered to pay over £600
- 3 Wendy's Romford to open tomorrow
- 4 Mayor of Havering admitted to hospital with Covid-19
- 5 Eight-storey housing and retail development proposed for centre of Romford
- 6 Service users overcharged total of £5m by council accounting 'screw up'
- 7 'Devastated' friends need £36k to help mum with bowel cancer
- 8 Developer submits plan to build 28 houses on rural industrial park
- 9 Police: Blaze in flats with flammable cladding was arson attack
- 10 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
Dagenham & Redbridge: Roberts, McCrory, Doe, Arber, Green (Scott, 91 mins), Tomlin (Nurse, 76 mins), Ifil (Gwillim, 86 mins), Scannell, Savage, Vincelot, Gain.
Subs: Lewington, Currie, Lewis, Bingham.
Swindon Town: Lucas, Cuthbert, Rose, Douglas, Caddis, Ferry, Pericard, Morrison, Amakwaah (O’Brien, 71 mins), Ball (McGovern, 55 mins), Dossevi (Bodin, 80 mins).
Subs: Smith, Thompson, Evans.
Official: Mr Brendan Malone.
Attendance: 2,767, including 1,026 visiting supporters.