League One: Dagenham & Redbridge 1 Hartlepool United 1
Liddle strikes in injury time to deny Daggers all three points
Gary Liddle scored in the 95th minute to give Hartlepool United a deserved point at Dagenham & Redbridge on Saturday afternoon.
After an eventful first half, which was more exciting than the goalless statistic would imply, Daggers eventually took the lead on 49 minutes.
After Gavin Tomlin was tripped en route towards goal, Darren Currie sent a quickly-taken free kick to Phil Ifil, whose drilled cross from the right took deflected heavily off Hartlepool defender Peter Hartley and looped into the top corner of the net.
The goal brought the visitors to life with substitute Armann Bjornsson’s aerial threat proving difficult to deal with.
The Icelandic forward was denied a certain goal on the hour mark by a heroic block from Mark Arber, before Leon McSweeney’s fizzing shot flew just over the bar.
Antony Monkhouse’s deflected shot then hit the woodwork before home defenders Arber and Damien McCrory both nearly scored embarrassing own goals.
- 1 'What about vulnerable people?’: Couple protest parking ticket from Gallows Corner Tesco after alleged ‘double dipping’ issue
- 2 ‘Great response’ in Romford at its inaugural World Naked Bike Ride event
- 3 Romford man charged after Essex Police investigation into sale of drugs in Chelmsford
- 4 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 5 Upminster fire: 80 firefighters tackle grassland blaze as warm weather continues
- 6 Havering Council’s cabinet: Who are they and what are their backgrounds?
- 7 Four care providers in Havering rated overall 'outstanding' by CQC
- 8 Get your fill of tacos, burritos and more as Taco Bell announces opening date for new Hornchurch restaurant
- 9 Motorcyclist dies after collision with car on Shepherds Hill
- 10 'Totally gutted’: Hornchurch nightclub owner vows to appeal after opening hours extension refused
However, after the announced four minutes of injury time had already been played, Liddle struck a ball from the edge of the box, which took a deflection and agonisingly spun past the stranded Tony Roberts in the Dagenham goal.
Dagenham & Redbridge: Roberts, McCrory, Doe, Arber, Scott (Savage, 73 mins), Tomlin, Ifil (Walsh, 69 mins), Scannell (Nurse, 81 mins), Currie, Taiwo, Vincelot.
Subs: Lewington, Bingham, Gwillim, Pinney.
Hartlepool United: Kean, Austin, Liddle, Collins, McSweeney (Behan, 62 mins), Gamble, Monkhouse, Sweeney (Poole, 76 mins), Murray, Larkin (Bjornsson, h/t), Hartley.
Subs: Yantorno, Humphreys, Haslam, Mooney.
Referee: Mr Dave Phillips
Attendance: 2,464, including 201 visiting supporters.