League One: Dagenham & Redbridge 1 Hartlepool United 1
Liddle strikes in injury time to deny Daggers all three points
Gary Liddle scored in the 95th minute to give Hartlepool United a deserved point at Dagenham & Redbridge on Saturday afternoon.
After an eventful first half, which was more exciting than the goalless statistic would imply, Daggers eventually took the lead on 49 minutes.
After Gavin Tomlin was tripped en route towards goal, Darren Currie sent a quickly-taken free kick to Phil Ifil, whose drilled cross from the right took deflected heavily off Hartlepool defender Peter Hartley and looped into the top corner of the net.
The goal brought the visitors to life with substitute Armann Bjornsson’s aerial threat proving difficult to deal with.
You may also want to watch:
The Icelandic forward was denied a certain goal on the hour mark by a heroic block from Mark Arber, before Leon McSweeney’s fizzing shot flew just over the bar.
Antony Monkhouse’s deflected shot then hit the woodwork before home defenders Arber and Damien McCrory both nearly scored embarrassing own goals.
- 1 Man in hospital after falling 'from height' in Romford
- 2 Brentwood church rave: More than 130 images released in appeal
- 3 Romford cinemas announce reopening plans after lockdown
- 4 Woman dies after 'falling from height' by Liberty Shopping Centre
- 5 Former Lakeside Hammers co-promoter Jon Cook passes away
- 6 New Romford author speaks out about feeling 'invisible' as a black father
- 7 Hornchurch tie down manager Stimson with new two-year contract
- 8 Horses die after Upminster stables blaze
- 9 London elections: Havering and Redbridge candidates make case for your vote
- 10 What is changing as lockdown eases on May 17?
However, after the announced four minutes of injury time had already been played, Liddle struck a ball from the edge of the box, which took a deflection and agonisingly spun past the stranded Tony Roberts in the Dagenham goal.
Dagenham & Redbridge: Roberts, McCrory, Doe, Arber, Scott (Savage, 73 mins), Tomlin, Ifil (Walsh, 69 mins), Scannell (Nurse, 81 mins), Currie, Taiwo, Vincelot.
Subs: Lewington, Bingham, Gwillim, Pinney.
Hartlepool United: Kean, Austin, Liddle, Collins, McSweeney (Behan, 62 mins), Gamble, Monkhouse, Sweeney (Poole, 76 mins), Murray, Larkin (Bjornsson, h/t), Hartley.
Subs: Yantorno, Humphreys, Haslam, Mooney.
Referee: Mr Dave Phillips
Attendance: 2,464, including 201 visiting supporters.