League One: Dagenham & Redbridge 1 Hartlepool United 1
Liddle strikes in injury time to deny Daggers all three points
Gary Liddle scored in the 95th minute to give Hartlepool United a deserved point at Dagenham & Redbridge on Saturday afternoon.
After an eventful first half, which was more exciting than the goalless statistic would imply, Daggers eventually took the lead on 49 minutes.
After Gavin Tomlin was tripped en route towards goal, Darren Currie sent a quickly-taken free kick to Phil Ifil, whose drilled cross from the right took deflected heavily off Hartlepool defender Peter Hartley and looped into the top corner of the net.
The goal brought the visitors to life with substitute Armann Bjornsson’s aerial threat proving difficult to deal with.
The Icelandic forward was denied a certain goal on the hour mark by a heroic block from Mark Arber, before Leon McSweeney’s fizzing shot flew just over the bar.
Antony Monkhouse’s deflected shot then hit the woodwork before home defenders Arber and Damien McCrory both nearly scored embarrassing own goals.
- 1 Aldi given nod to open at former Mothercare branch in Romford
- 2 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 3 Hornchurch Japanese restaurant rejects licensing officer's advice over late opening application
- 4 Aklu Plaza submits plans to convert third floor into banqueting suite
- 5 Romford's South Street reacts to BBC licence fee announcement
- 6 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Construction company asks to make changes to approved 40-flat development in Romford
- 8 Mum-of-two honoured by US president Joe Biden
- 9 Campaigner glee as 560 trees saved from 'overzealous' railway works
- 10 Rainham councillors publish 'plan B' for Beam Park transport links
However, after the announced four minutes of injury time had already been played, Liddle struck a ball from the edge of the box, which took a deflection and agonisingly spun past the stranded Tony Roberts in the Dagenham goal.
Dagenham & Redbridge: Roberts, McCrory, Doe, Arber, Scott (Savage, 73 mins), Tomlin, Ifil (Walsh, 69 mins), Scannell (Nurse, 81 mins), Currie, Taiwo, Vincelot.
Subs: Lewington, Bingham, Gwillim, Pinney.
Hartlepool United: Kean, Austin, Liddle, Collins, McSweeney (Behan, 62 mins), Gamble, Monkhouse, Sweeney (Poole, 76 mins), Murray, Larkin (Bjornsson, h/t), Hartley.
Subs: Yantorno, Humphreys, Haslam, Mooney.
Referee: Mr Dave Phillips
Attendance: 2,464, including 201 visiting supporters.