League One: Dagenham & Redbridge 0 Peterborough United 2
Two early goals put paid to Daggers chances.
David Ball’s early double for Peterborough condemned Dagenham to their second successive defeat in their fight for League One survival.
It wasn’t to be the fairy tale keeper Tony Roberts had hoped for in his 500th game for the club as two goals in a four minute spell effectively ended the game before it had even started.
But it was a positive start for the Daggers as Oliver Lee fired an effort wide across Joe Lewis’ goal with three minutes on the clock.
Only a minute later though Ball opened the scoring after former Dagenham player Craig Mackail-Smith laid the ball off to his strike partner who slotted the ball home past Roberts for just the start the home side didn’t want.
You may also want to watch:
The former Manchester City striker, making only his third start of the season, then doubled the tally on the eight minute mark as the ball fell to him kindly in the box as Dagenham failed to clear their lines, with Peterborough netting their 93rd league goal of the campaign.
Ball had a chance to wrap up a stunning, quickfire hat-trick when Mackail-Smith again found him on the edge of the box but his curling left footed effort just crept past the post with Roberts at full stretch.
- 1 Consultations open on rolling out school streets to 12 new sites
- 2 Future of bus route hangs in the balance as consultation ends
- 3 Man charged with multiple child exploitation offences to stand trial
- 4 Coffee shop apologises for 'mis-post' offering kitten as Christmas prize
- 5 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 6 Harold Hill 18-year-old given suspended sentence for ATM robberies
- 7 Christmas lights switch-on to return in Romford
- 8 BHRUT 'determined to learn' after inquest finds failures in pensioner's care before her death
- 9 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 10 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
Before the first half was out Akinde- in his first start for Dagenham- saw a deflected shot curl just wide and Romain Vincelot’s ball into the box was cleared by the Posh defence with Jon Nurse ready to pounce.
Despite having the joint second worst defence in League One, Peterborough dealt comfortably with all that the home side threw at them with Gabriel Zakuani and Charlie Lee impressive at the heart of the Posh defence.
Meanwhile at the other end Mackail-Smith caused his former side trouble throughout and went close with one of few chances in the second half, firing into the side netting.
For the Daggers Vincelot saw hit shot also find the side netting and after good build up play Damien McCrory was unable to find a finish the Victoria Road side desperately needed.
Peterborough looked threatening on the counter attack and it almost worked perfectly when a move involving George Boyd and Ball was played back to Mackail-Smith but his effort fell narrowly wide of the target.
Dagenham & Redbridge: Roberts, McCrory, Doe, Arber, Ogogo, Green (Currie 83), Gain, Vincelot, Lee, Akinde (Scannell 81) Nurse.
Subs not used: Lewington, Antwi, Savage, Currie, Bingham, Lancaster.