Leaders end Romford’s run
Ryman One North: Romford 0 Maldon 3
Romford couldn’t cause an upset as Ryman Division One North leaders Maldon extended their advantage to seven points last night.
Jamie Guy fired the visitors in front after four minutes when Ben Bradbury played in Joe Gardner who laid the ball back for Guy to superbly finish from just inside the box.
Boro, unbeaten in their last four league matches, did cause problems for visiting goalkeeper Joe Wright, who saved well from a Nick Reynolds header after Lewis Francis had centred.
The Romford pair combined again and Reynolds thought he had fired the hosts level, but referee Tom Brookes disallowed the goal for handball by the eight-goal striker in the build-up.
You may also want to watch:
There was a quiet start to the second half before Maldon virtually sealed the win with a fine individual run and shot from the experienced Ollie Berquez, who remained unchallenged as he waltzed into the area and shot low, left-footed, past Atu Ngoy.
Romford kept plugging away but even the introduction of new signings Billy Hunt and Ben Jones could do little to change their fortune in front of goal.
- 1 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
- 2 'He was petrified': Rainham mother calls for more action on bullying
- 3 'For my kids': Mother vows to keep fighting over council flat mould
- 4 Harold Wood walkers ‘frustrated’ as ‘beyond repair’ bridge is closed
- 5 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 6 'Darkest days of my life': Six-year-old diagnosed with rare condition suffers OCD, anxiety and depressive symptoms
- 7 Romford Town swimmer Junayna Ahmed to compete in Olympic Games
- 8 Pooches delight as new dog-friendly playground opens at Collier Row pub
- 9 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 10 New community hub opens in Rainham 'following Harold Hill centre's success'
Maldon could have added to their lead on a number of occasions and they finally claimed a third deep into stoppage time Atu Ngoy could only clear straight to Chris Bryan who took a couple of touches before curling his shot back into the net.
Romford: Ngoy, Ishmail, Oates, Barry, Toms, Clayton, Sammut (Isa 76), Richardson, Reynolds (Hunt 70), Imbert (Jones 70), Francis.