Late Murphy header for Accrington extends Daggers winless League Two start
League Two: Dagenham & Redbridge 1 Accrington Stanley 1
Peter Murphy struck five minutes from time for Accrington Stanley to break Daggers hearts as their winless League Two run continued with a 1-1 draw at Victoria Road today.
Aside from a sloppy start and end by John Still’s side, it was a game they dominated against Accrington, who are still yet to taste defeat on their travels.
The home side were slow out of the starting blocks as goalkeeper Chris Lewington was called into action with just three minutes on the clock to deny Padraig Amond and Accrington.
But a minute later some neat work between the Daggers strike pairing of Brian Woodall and Dwight Gayle resulted in the latter seeing a shot saved low down by Stanley keeper Ian Dunbavin.
You may also want to watch:
Medy Elito often combined with Michael Spillane, with the latter seeing a header go wide of the target.
But Paul Cook’s side were unfortunate not to have taken a lead on 27 minutes when Lee Molyneux’s initial corner came back out to him, and he drifted inside before firing an effort onto the bar.
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 3 Case for release of Gallows Corner upgrade funds is in pipeline, TfL says
- 4 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 5 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for east London
- 6 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 7 120-home development on Harold Hill college site approved
- 8 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 9 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 10 Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’
Daggers ended the half on top and it was the hosts turn to hit the crossbar through Spillane from another teasing Elito delivery.
The second period continued as the first finished with Daggers on top with Woodall denied by a fine stop from Dunbavin and then Elito missed a golden opportunity when played in by Spillane.
Many wondered if it was going to be another frustrating day at the office for Dagenham but they took the lead on 61 minutes.
Gavin Hoyte’s deep free-kick into the box was met by an unmarked Luke Howell for his second of the season.
Accrington always looked a side capable of getting back into the game and they stepped through the gears after going a goal down with substitutes Danny Schofield and Craig Lindfield combining for the latter to fire over.
But Molyneux’s delivery for Accrington had caused problems all day for the Daggers backline and it was one too many in the end as his pinpoint ball in found Peter Murphy at the back post and he headed past Lewington five minutes from time.
And Molyneux could have added a winner with the final kick of the game but his free-kick went just over.
Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington, Wilkinson, Ilesanmi, Doe, Spillane, Elito (Dan Green 86), Howell, Hoyte, Ogogo, Gayle (Scott 93), Woodall.
Substitutes not used: Seabright, Williams, Dom Green, Reed, Bingham.
Attendance: 1,529 (56 Accrington Stanley)