Join the Girl Guides for fun and friends
- Credit: Archant
From making lifelong friendships, to learning a wide range of new skills, many young girls across the borough have enjoyed their time in the Girl Guides.
Linda Taylor, the division commissioner of Romford Girl Guides, has seen generations of young girls benefit from joining.
She said: “We give girls a space where they can really be themselves with other girls and share the experience of growing up as a girl in today’s world.
“I got involved for the Queen’s Silver Jubilee in 1977 when my daughters were Brownies.
“They asked mums to help with the preparations for the celebration party and I offered to make some cakes. The rest is history!”
You may also want to watch:
Girls aged between five to seven are able to join Rainbows.
Those aged between seven and 10 are placed in the Brownies. The Guides is aimed at females between the ages of 10 and 14, while the Seniors includes young women between 14 and 25.
- 1 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 2 Woman, 52, dies in Collier Row in 'unexplained' circumstances
- 3 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 4 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 5 Boy, 15, was in 'life-threatening' condition after Upminster stabbing
- 6 Broken bus stop in Upminster to be repaired within 'few weeks'
- 7 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 8 Royal Mail apologises for Covid-related delays as pensioner reports no deliveries 'for weeks'
- 9 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 10 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
The groups meet once a week, giving girls the chance to take part in games and fundraising activities.
Recently, 13-year-old guide Caitlin Taylor helped raise £1,350 while achieving her Baden Powell Challenge Award, the most prestigious award available.
Linda said: “Membership isn’t expensive.
“There is a small subscription to cover expenses, but girls are not excluded if there is a financial problem.
“It’s such a fantastic opportunity.
“The girls enjoy a wide range of activities and adventure, including the opportunity for international travel.”