Joe’s cool for Romford
Sub sinks landlords in cup
A last-minute goal from substitute Joe Pattison edged Romford to a 3-2 Ryman League cup win over landlords Aveley at Mill Field.
In truth there wasn’t much between the two sides despite Boro resting many first-team players ahead of their FA Trophy tie at Boreham Wood at the weekend.
Aveley took the lead in the 11th minute after David Knight’s original shock was blocked by former Miller Adam Rafis to Orlando Smith, before he found Josh Llewellyn, who netted with a low show into the far corner.
The lead only lasted six minutes as a deep free kick from just inside Aveley’s half was nodded goalwards by Alex Read, only for defender Danny Brown to get the slightest of touches past Matt Bennett in the Aveley goal.
You may also want to watch:
Read continued to cause the Millers back four problems all night, seeing his 22nd-minute shot just go over the top of the bar.
After the break the ‘home’ side conceded a goal as a simple long ball over the top caused Boro problems and Llewellyn gamely chased the ball down and took a first time effort which beat Rafis low down to his right.
- 1 'A tax on relationships': Politicians criticise boundary charge proposal
- 2 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 3 Police appeal after second fatal Rainham collision in less than a week
- 4 Havering households to be asked to participate in census
- 5 'My life lit up': Councillor's joy at reuniting with daughter after more than 30 years
- 6 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 7 Sunflower Suite at Queen's Hospital chosen for this year's Christine Willett Trust donation
- 8 Deputy head: School's teachers have gone 'above and beyond' during Covid pandemic
- 9 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 10 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
If there was any doubt in Read scoring the first, he definitely scored the equaliser as he turned his man in the box and fired his effort past Bennett, off the inside of the post and over the line with 20 minutes left.
With only four minutes remaining Tony Russell earned his marching orders for the Millers with his second bookable offence of the night after tangling with Kurt Smith.
With extra time looking the most likely outcome sub Pattison fired home from inside the area high into the net to earn Romford a place in the next round with the draw set to take place on Friday.
Romford: A Rafis, Barry, Neville, Clayton, Diantombe, Oxby, D Rafis (Pattison 61), Seymour, Read, Senghore (Edmunds 43), Smith
Aveley: Bennett, Thompson, Howell, Russell, Francis, Brown, Knight, Slatter, Powell, (Stanley 46), Llewellyn, Smith.