`Ill woman dies seven days after charity pledge
A terminally ill Romford woman died just seven days after pledging to take part in a special walk for the charity treating her.
Tragic Sandy White, 61, was diagnosed with secondary lung cancer in 2008 and was given six weeks to live but fought on for over three years.
She had vowed in the Recorder on May 6 to raise money for St Francis Hopsice, where she was an outpatient, in the women’s only Star Trek midnight walk next month - but she passed away on May 13.
Now her team. called The Sandy Stars led by daughter Nicola, will complete the sponsered 2.5km walk in her memory.
Nicola said: “Mum was definitely one of a kind; she would do anything for you and put up such a fight against the cancer. She loved her family and friends and they meant the world to he and she certainly didn’t want to leave them and so gave it her all to make sure she enjoyed the last three years with us.”
You may also want to watch:
She added: “I know the support she received from St Francis Hospice was a great help to her and she was looking forward to giving something back to them, but sadly it wasn’t to be.”
Sandy lived with husband Jim off Marlborough Road for the last 37 years and had two children and four grandchildren.
- 1 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
- 2 One teenager dead in Harold Hill double stabbing
- 3 New venture for Hornchurch MasterChef hairdresser
- 4 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?
- 5 CCTV cameras to enforce new lorry ban through Rainham village
- 6 New rapid testing sites open in Romford and Upminster
- 7 'Beyond annoying' - New traffic measure coming to Hornchurch junction
- 8 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 9 UKIP vote from 2016 'significant' to Tory win in Havering and Redbridge
- 10 Three-year-old raises £10,000 with challenge inspired by Captain Tom
Nicola was full of praise for the team at the hospice, based in Havering-atte-Bower “They were so great, you don’t realise what these guys do until you really need them”
To sponsor The Sandy Stars, which include Nicola and seven friends, visit: www.justgiving.com/teams/sandystars