Ilford King George Hospital worker’s four day trek to raise money for Romford hospice
A biomedical scientist from Ilford trekked across Peru with two friends to raise funds for a hospice.
Zarina Chaudhry, of Somersby Gardens made her way through jungles and scaled 2,430m (7,970ft) Machu Picchu to during the four day expedition with pals Sidra and Sana Sarwar.
The trio arranged the trip in memory of Sidra and Sana’s grandma Hamida, who was cared for by Saint Francis Hospice, Romford before she died of cancer in November last year.
They raised around �2000.
Zarina, 25, who works at King George Hospital in Barley Lane, Goodmayes said: “The trip has left me feeling physically and mentally refreshed.
You may also want to watch:
“I found it challenging on many aspects, particularly because I was scared of heights and didn’t like crossing rickety wooden bridges.
“The altitude made every step difficult but the fact that we were raising money for such a good cause made me even more determined to reach my destination.”
- 1 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 2 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 3 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 4 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 5 Broken bus stop in Upminster to be repaired within 'few weeks'
- 6 Royal Mail apologises for Covid-related delays as pensioner reports no deliveries 'for weeks'
- 7 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 8 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 9 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 10 Hornchurch Covid woodland memorial gets residents' backing, survey says
Hospice community fundraiser Rochelle Hodds said: “The girls showed real commitment organising the trip and we really appreciate their efforts.
“The �2,000 they have raised could enable another family to benefit from the support of a hospice at home nurse for 48 hours.
“We depend on people like Sana, Sidra and Zarina to help raise the �7.2 million needed this year alone to provide our vital care services, free to people affected by life-limiting illness.”
To take part in a fundraising event email email@example.com