Howell looking to add to celebrations with contract extension
- Credit: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO
Dagenham & Redbridge midfielder Luke Howell is hoping to sign a new contract with the club very soon.
Luke Howell was able to celebrate his 26th birthday with a goal in Dagenham’s 2-0 win at Accrington Stanley on Saturday — and he is hoping to celebrate even more with a deal which could extend his stay at Victoria Road.
The midfielder missed six months of last season after picking up a knee injury against Hereford in September 2011.
But the former Lincoln City man had netted seven goals this season to help his side enjoy a solid start to League Two.
And Howell believes if he were to sign a new contract, it would repay the faith shown in him by manager John Still and everyone else at the club.
You may also want to watch:
“We had a discussion a couple of weeks ago so I am sure that it will be sorted out pretty soon,” said Howell.
“After being injured last season the club treated me great, so it was nice.
- 1 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 2 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 3 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 4 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 5 Broken bus stop in Upminster to be repaired within 'few weeks'
- 6 Royal Mail apologises for Covid-related delays as pensioner reports no deliveries 'for weeks'
- 7 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 8 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 9 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 10 Hornchurch Covid woodland memorial gets residents' backing, survey says
“Not every club does that, but as soon as I signed here I could tell it’s a family club and everyone looks after everyone so I don’t see any problems with me signing.”
Howell returned to the fold in March last year and helped Still’s side maintain their place in the Football League.
So far this season he has been an ever-present in the squad and Howell is just grateful of his run in the side, compared to his bit-part role at former clubs MK Dons and Lincoln.
“I have never really had a run in a team like this,” he added.
“I was in and out at other clubs and have had a few injuries in my career so it is nice to be playing. I am enjoying it every week and that’s helping on the pitch.”