10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- Credit: BPTW
A developer has been given the green light to build an extra 50 homes and a public bus interchange at the site of an already-approved 700-home development in Rainham.
The 10-storey block expansion is on top of an application by Clarion Housing at 90 New Road which was given approval in February last year.
Havering Council granted approval for the expansion last week, bringing the total number of homes at the site to about 750.
Construction is expected to start in January 2022, with the completion of the development scheduled for early 2028.
Group director of development for Clarion Housing Group, Richard Cook, said the new development will provide “badly needed housing for local people” and will also become an “attractive” neighbourhood in “its own right”.
He added: “The new homes will be complemented by green spaces, cafes, restaurants and leisure facilities, creating a sense of community.”
You may also want to watch:
Partner at the building's architects BPTW, Justin Kelly, said: “The scheme will enable the transformation of a former scrapyard into a high-quality mixed-use development which will be the final piece of the jigsaw at 90 New Road.
“The site will introduce a gateway building into the wider development and contribute to the strong placemaking principles which are key elements of the design at 90 New Road, with communal green spaces and a vibrant local centre being prominent elements within the overall design.”
- 1 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 2 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 3 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 4 Trust celebrating Hornchurch history opens new permanent heritage centre
- 5 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 6 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 7 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 8 Report found Town Hall response to alleged sexual harassment case 'disturbing'
- 9 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 10 Havering Hospitality Hero: Hornchurch's Tandoori Lounge racks up awards