Housing estate on a former Brentwood hospital site is officially opened
Sixteen new homes built on the site of a former Victorian hospital in Brentwood have been officially opened.
Eric Pickles MP for Brentwood and Ongar was at the opening of the development in Upper Highwoods, which includes houses for social rent and sale.
He was joined by bosses from Chelmsford-based housing association CHP and Mayor Cllr Ann Coe.
Part of the funding for the development on the former Highwoods Hospital came from a �1.7m grant from the Homes and Community Agency.
It is the final phase of the Highwoods Hospital development and many of the original Victorian features of the hospital have been retained.
You may also want to watch:
Martin Dean CHP Chairman, said: “We are delighted to be able to launch a development that we are rightly very proud of. As a company that likes to identify with the areas where we work, we are committed to creating sustainable communities and to providing local people with the homes they require.”
Cllr Jan Pound, chair of the council’s housing and health panel, said: “I’m pleased that the Council helped to enable this housing scheme. We made sure that appropriate affordable housing was part of the planning agreement for this site and we supported the housing association in getting funding for the scheme.
- 1 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 2 Best places to have a curry in Havering as chosen by readers
- 3 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 4 Havering's Hospitality Heroes revealed: Which venues are crowned winners?
- 5 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months
- 6 Daniel Laskos death: Court hearing for murder accused teens
- 7 Charity opens development to help homeless into independent living
- 8 Sentencing of Harold Hill ATM robber is postponed
- 9 National Hospitality Day: Locals stuck by cafe through 'thick and thin'
- 10 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
“I’m pleased as I can see that the Upper Highwoods development is a great success. I warmly welcome the newest residents and I wish them many happy years in their new homes.”