House fire ‘caused by smoking in bed’ badly damages Gidea Park flat

The woman was taken to hospital suffering the effects of smoke inhalation

The woman was taken to hospital suffering the effects of smoke inhalation - Credit: sub

A second-floor flat was badly burnt in a house fire this morning.

The blaze, which damaged about 40 per cent of the Durham Avenue flat, Gidea Park, is thought to have been started by someone smoking in bed.

Firefighters from Hornchurch and Harold Hill were called just after 11am and searched through the thick smoke for anyone trapped inside – but the householders had left the scene before they arrived.

It is thought there was no smoke alarm fitted.

Were you there? Call the news desk on 020 8477 3903 or e-mail ramzy.alwakeel@archant.co.uk.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter