Hornchurch woman celebrates 100 birthday
Lots of fresh air and plenty of hard work is the secret to a long and happy life, according to Alice Harris.
The sprightly centenarian celebrated her 100 birthday surrounded by her family and friends on Sunday June 10.
Stewart Robinson, one of the workers at the Age Concern Day Centre that Alice attends said: “Her memory is really sharp.
“She puts us all to shame because she knows everything about what is going on in the world and she likes to tell a joke.”
He added: “She says that her secret is getting lots of fresh air and working hard, she can’t get out much anymore, but she still has lots of fun.”
You may also want to watch:
Alice was born in 1912 in Newbury Park, Ilford.
She got married in her 20s to William Harris.
- 1 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 2 Two in hospital after crash in Upminster involving 'stolen' van
- 3 Eight arrested on suspicion of murder following death of two teens
- 4 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 5 Cladding scandal: Homeowners ‘stuck’ as service charges rise
- 6 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 7 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 8 Men questioned and 200 hours of CCTV seized after boys killed in Brentwood
- 9 Detectives appeal for witnesses to Upminster crash involving 'stolen' van
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
The couple had a daughter and a son.
Alice moved to Hornchurch 70 years ago.
But things haven’t always been sail smoothing for Alice as she went through the pain of loosing both of her children.
She has three grandchildren and seven great grandchildren.
Stewart said: “She is a really nice person to be around and is always having a laugh.”