Hornchurch woman celebrates 100 birthday
Lots of fresh air and plenty of hard work is the secret to a long and happy life, according to Alice Harris.
The sprightly centenarian celebrated her 100 birthday surrounded by her family and friends on Sunday June 10.
Stewart Robinson, one of the workers at the Age Concern Day Centre that Alice attends said: “Her memory is really sharp.
“She puts us all to shame because she knows everything about what is going on in the world and she likes to tell a joke.”
He added: “She says that her secret is getting lots of fresh air and working hard, she can’t get out much anymore, but she still has lots of fun.”
You may also want to watch:
Alice was born in 1912 in Newbury Park, Ilford.
She got married in her 20s to William Harris.
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 3 Romford drama students to feature alongside celebrities in new WW2 film
- 4 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 5 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 6 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’
- 8 Dagenham seal comfortable win over Hornchurch in pre-season
- 9 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 10 Heritage: Romford's key role in the English Civil War
The couple had a daughter and a son.
Alice moved to Hornchurch 70 years ago.
But things haven’t always been sail smoothing for Alice as she went through the pain of loosing both of her children.
She has three grandchildren and seven great grandchildren.
Stewart said: “She is a really nice person to be around and is always having a laugh.”