Hornchurch win ‘deserved’
McFarlane praises Urchins for derby success
Hornchurch boss Jimmy McFarlane paid tribute to his men following their win against Billericay.
Tambeson Eyon’s first-half goal was enough to separate the Conference South rivals at Bridge Avenue, as Urchins climbed to eighth place ahead of their New Year’s Day trip to Welling.
And McFarlane said: “It was thoroughly deserved.
“We were at it from the first minute and they were all absolutely brilliant on the day.”
You may also want to watch:
The victory came on the back of a 3-0 home loss against Welling on Boxing Day and McFarlane felt the side’s spirit was epitomised by Elliot Styles.
“Elliot was the best player on the park for me,” he said.
- 1 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 2 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 3 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 4 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 5 Broken bus stop in Upminster to be repaired within 'few weeks'
- 6 Royal Mail apologises for Covid-related delays as pensioner reports no deliveries 'for weeks'
- 7 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 8 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 9 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 10 Hornchurch Covid woodland memorial gets residents' backing, survey says
“He has had hamstring problems and felt it in the first 20 minutes against Welling.
“He got through to half-time, but we didn’t want to lose him for six weeks so we took him off.
“His tackle in the opening seconds against Billericay set the tone.”