Hornchurch’s Alex Day hits #25 in Christmas singles chart
It was another chart smash for internet music sensation Alex Day on Sunday, but he missed out on beating his world record success of last year.
The 23-year-old, who grew up in Hornchurch, holds the record for the highest ever charting single by an unsigned artist, from last year, number four, from last year.
But while 2012’s single Stupid Stupid didn’t equal the success of Forever Yours, it did chart at a respectable number 25.
It marks another feat for the unsigned artist who achieved a third top 40 hit in 12 months – without any mainstream radio airplay or concert performances.
He joked in an online message to fans on Sunday: “You know what I always say: “If you’re going to get in the charts always get ten places lower than the last time you tried.”
You may also want to watch:
“We tried our best and I’ve had a cracking year, we’ve had three songs in the top 40, and I got to keep all the money - well I didn’t, I gave it all to charity.”
He donated half of his profits from the single to charity Save the Children.
- 1 Two in hospital after crash in Upminster involving 'stolen' van
- 2 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 3 Eight arrested on suspicion of murder following death of two teens
- 4 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 5 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 6 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 7 Government 'never gave support' for Beam Park station, minister says
- 8 Disruptions to watch out for in and around Havering next week
- 9 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 10 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
The former Emerson Park school pupil also announced he will be releasing a full length album next year.