Hornchurch pensioner’s car hit by flying brick
A Hornchurch pensioner has spoken of the terrifying moment a brick flew off the back of a truck and smashed into his car windscreen.
Lol Stambrook said he was driving behind the truck in Rainham Road South, Dagenham, on Wednesday morning when he saw the brick fall of the vehicle, fly through the air and hit the windscreen of his Ford Escort.
The 71-year-old was left covered in fragments of glass but escaped unhurt and was able to stop the car safely.
“To see that brick hitting my windscreen was very frightening,” Mr Stambrook, of Alma Avenue, said.
“It actually smashed into the driver’s side, so I was really lucky it wasn’t any worse. The glass could have cut me or I could have crashed the car. Thankfully I was fine, just a little shaken.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Stambrook contacted police but decided not to push for criminal charges. He said the windscreen would have to be completely replaced and is in talks with the company who own the truck about covering repair costs.
A police spokesman confirmed they had received a call from the pensioner.
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 3 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 4 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Romford drama students to feature alongside celebrities in new WW2 film
- 6 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 7 Dagenham seal comfortable win over Hornchurch in pre-season
- 8 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 9 Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’
- 10 Primary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
She added: “We were advised by the caller that both parties had exchanged details for insurance purposes and that no criminal allegations were being made.”