Hornchurch pay the penalty
Urchins play-off hopes hit
Hornchurch saw their Ryman Premier Division play-off hopes hit after a 3-0 defeat at Canvey on Saturday.
Leon Gordon smashed home a cross from Alex Rhodes to open the scoring in the 27th minute.
And when Gordon was brought down in the box midway through the second half, Urchins goalie Darren Behcet was shown the red card.
Captain Elliot Styles took over in goal but could not prevent Rob King doubling the home side’s lead from the spot.
You may also want to watch:
King had netted a hat-trick of penalties when the two sides met earlier in the season at Bridge Avenue and Canvey repeated the 3-0 scoreline eight minutes from time when Danny Heale fired home after an earlier shot had hit the crossbar.
Romford, meanwhile, slipped to a 2-0 defeat at Division One North play-off hopefuls Maldon & Tiptree.
- 1 One teenager dead in Harold Hill double stabbing
- 2 'Beyond annoying' - New traffic measure coming to Hornchurch junction
- 3 Election 2021: Live Havering and Redbridge London Assembly updates
- 4 Labour's Sadiq Khan wins London mayoral election
- 5 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
- 6 Heritage: The life of Havering's well-loved Peter the Painter
- 7 Romford woman through to Ms Great Britain 2021 final
- 8 Man in hospital after falling 'from height' in Romford
- 9 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?
- 10 The Romfood Review: A bit of the East End in Essex
Boro were awarded a penalty for handball - although the ball ended up in the net following the offence - but Paul Kavanagh’s spot-kick was straight at Rhys Madden, who saved.
And Maldon broke the deadlock three minutes after the restart as Chris Chase converted Joe Sweeney’s cross.
Sweeney sealed the points in the 56th minute, as Jack Barry and Junior Diantomba wasted late efforts for the visitors.