Hornchurch pay the penalty
Urchins play-off hopes hit
Hornchurch saw their Ryman Premier Division play-off hopes hit after a 3-0 defeat at Canvey on Saturday.
Leon Gordon smashed home a cross from Alex Rhodes to open the scoring in the 27th minute.
And when Gordon was brought down in the box midway through the second half, Urchins goalie Darren Behcet was shown the red card.
Captain Elliot Styles took over in goal but could not prevent Rob King doubling the home side’s lead from the spot.
You may also want to watch:
King had netted a hat-trick of penalties when the two sides met earlier in the season at Bridge Avenue and Canvey repeated the 3-0 scoreline eight minutes from time when Danny Heale fired home after an earlier shot had hit the crossbar.
Romford, meanwhile, slipped to a 2-0 defeat at Division One North play-off hopefuls Maldon & Tiptree.
- 1 National Hospitality Day: Locals stuck by cafe through 'thick and thin'
- 2 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 3 Best places to have a curry in Havering as chosen by readers
- 4 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 5 Daniel Laskos death: Court hearing for murder accused teens
- 6 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months
- 7 Havering's Hospitality Heroes revealed: Which venues are crowned winners?
- 8 Charity opens development to help homeless into independent living
- 9 Sentencing of Harold Hill ATM robber is postponed
- 10 Mum opens Romford juice van to offer healthy snacks and drinks for kids
Boro were awarded a penalty for handball - although the ball ended up in the net following the offence - but Paul Kavanagh’s spot-kick was straight at Rhys Madden, who saved.
And Maldon broke the deadlock three minutes after the restart as Chris Chase converted Joe Sweeney’s cross.
Sweeney sealed the points in the 56th minute, as Jack Barry and Junior Diantomba wasted late efforts for the visitors.