Hornchurch Olympic hopeful becomes sporting ambassador
AN OLYMPIC hopeful who trains in Horchurch has been named as a sporting ambassador for young people in Essex.
James Huckle, 20, a member of Romford Rifle and Pistol Club, will spend time over the next year visiting schools and community projects in Essex to inspire young people to become involved in sport.
At the Commonwealth Games last year in Delhi James won two silver and two bronze medals in the 10m and 50m air rifle competitions.
It is the second year that James has been a Team Essex Ambassador, last year he took part in a range of activities including working with schools and being immortalised in a piece of live art by artist Helen Morse Palmer.
He credits the grant that ambassadors are awarded by Essex County Council, which he spent on travel and equipment, for helping to “push me to a world class stage”.
You may also want to watch:
“It was great to experience even if it had just been for one year. I’m really priveleged to get to do it again,” he said.
James, who was named Essex Sports Personality of the Year in 2010, will find out if he has qualified for the Olympics at the end of the year.
- 1 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 2 Town centre app launches to entice shoppers to Romford
- 3 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 4 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 5 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 6 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 7 Romford Tesco Extra plants trees to offset car emissions
- 8 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 9 One teenager dead in Harold Wood triple stabbing
- 10 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering