Hornchurch music star Alex Day lands Guinness World Record and aims to make another one this Christmas
A second Guinness World Record and a Christmas number one single would top off “an amazing” twelve months for Alex Day.
The internet music sensation, who grew up in Hornchurch, was recently presented with a certificate to mark the fact that single Forever Yours, which got to number four last December, was the highest charting single by an unsigned artist in history.
And the former Emerson Park schoolboy is hoping to break the record again by scoring the Christmas number one this year.
He said: “I have the certificate framed above my desk. It felt incredible, I always wanted a world record and wondered what kind of thing I could get, so I’m dead chuffed.”
It means he will appear in 2014 edition of the Guinness World Records Annual, out next September.
You may also want to watch:
But he’s not resting on the shock chart success, having reached number 15 with his second single in April he is now aiming to stun the music industry again by topping the charts.
Unlike Forever Yours, new single Stupid Stupid will be available in some shops as well as the internet after he has signed an excusive distribution deal with HMV.
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 3 Romford drama students to feature alongside celebrities in new WW2 film
- 4 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 5 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 6 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’
- 8 Dagenham seal comfortable win over Hornchurch in pre-season
- 9 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 10 Heritage: Romford's key role in the English Civil War
He said: “I’ve had such an amazing year - two Top 20 singles, sold over 300,000 songs on iTunes and made �150,000 from my music, all without a label, manager, PR person or any radio support - and am topping it off with a new single release this Christmas to try and become the first unsigned artist in the world to get to number one on a major music chart.”
The 23-year-old added: “I know there are a lot of charity singles coming out at Christmas and I don’t want to be mean-spirited, so I’ve decided that if the song gets to number three (beating my record from last year) I’ll donate �10,000 to charity; if it gets to number two I’ll give �20,000, and if I make it to number one I’ll give �30,000.
“My charity of choice is Save The Children, who do really great work and �10 can save a life over Christmas, so being number one and making music history would help me save a thousand lives over the holidays.”
Stupid Stupid is released on December 16. The video will be available to view from December 9.
Click play on the video above to see his cover of This Kiss, originally performed by Faith Hill.