Hornchurch lift cup, Romford sunk by Fleet

Joy for Jimmy’s men

Hornchurch ended their pre-season with a 3-1 win over Ryman One North outfit Enfield Town last night.

But Romford slipped to a 2-0 defeat against new landlords Thurrock in their final friendly at Ship Lane.

Hornchurch’s match doubled up as the Capital League’s Presidents Cup final, held over from the end of last season.

And Urchins, with a fringe side out in readiness for their Conference South opener at Salisbury City, dominated from the off.

You may also want to watch:

Leon McKenzie bundled the ball home after just two minutes, before the effort was ruled out for offside.

But Hornnchurch’s dominance eventually led to the opening goal when Jonathan Hunt’s ball into the box from the right was headed home by Aaron Gayle with 31 minutes on the clock.

Most Read

Jimmy McFarlane’s side started the second half sluggishly and conceded after 47 minutes when an unmarked Chris Phillipson headed home.

Urchins rode out the storm and gradually regrouped before firing themselves back in front in somewhat fortunate circumstances.

Hunt’s ball into the box after 64 minutes looked to be a regulation catch for James Chalk in the visitors’ goal, but he flapped at the effort and pushed it into his own net.

And the Bridge Avenue outfit remained on top for the rest of the half, making sure of the result and the trophy when a long ball over the top was flicked on by McKenzie for triallist Juan Onieva to finish smartly.

McFarlane was pleased with the workout for his squad players and to pick up a bit of silverware as well.

He said: “It was good to top some of the boys up on minutes that maybe haven’t featured as much throughout pre-season.

“And players always perform better with something is on the line, so it’s nice to pick up a bit of silverware.”

Hornchurch: Pittman, Love, Spencer, Eyong, Shave, May, Hunt (Pearce), Tomlinson, McKenzie, Gayle (Onieva), Orilonishe (Yates).

n Chances were at a premium in Romford’s match, but a misplaced pass handed Joel Barnett the chance to fire Thurrock ahead on 31 minutes.

Lewis Francis fired just wide for Boro, while Hussein Isa’s dipping effort flew just over the crossbar.

Fleet made sure of victory 11 minutes from time when a Joe Oates pass was intercepted and Elliott Anderson was beaten for a second time.

Boro begin the new Ryman One North season with a home game against Redbridge on Saturday.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter