Hornchurch keep up title chase
Romford sink Soham
Hornchurch maintained their pursuit of Ryman Premier Division leaders Billericay with victory at relegated Horsham.
Goals from leading scorer Martin Tuohy, Lewis Smith and Leon McKenzie — his first for the club — sealed a 3-0 win in Sussex to keep Jimmy McFarlane’s men in second place.
They trail Billericay by seven points, with one game in hand against Margate tomorrow (Tuesday) and a crunch top-of-the-table clash to come at Bridge Avenue at Easter.
Smith and McKenzie combined to set up Tuohy’s 25th goal of the campaign in the first half.
You may also want to watch:
And Smith raced away to fire home his 18th of the season from a tight angle on the hour.
Tuohy crossed for McKenzie to open his account with 14 minutes remaining as Urchins claimed their 14th away win of the season.
- 1 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 2 Two in hospital after crash in Upminster involving 'stolen' van
- 3 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 Eight arrested on suspicion of murder following death of two teens
- 6 Men questioned and 200 hours of CCTV seized after boys killed in Brentwood
- 7 Cladding scandal: Homeowners ‘stuck’ as service charges rise
- 8 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 9 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 10 Detectives appeal for witnesses to Upminster crash involving 'stolen' van
Romford recorded back-to-back wins for the first time this season in Ryman One North thanks to a 2-1 success at Soham Town Rangers.
Boro fell behind after only three minutes when Dan Cotton curled his shot past Elliott Anderson and Jack Barry saw an equaliser ruled out for offside soon after.
Kurt Smith levelled late in the first half, taking his tally to 16, after good work from Wale Odedoyin and Hussain Isa.
And Boro made sure of all three points late on when Barry lashed home Isa’s cross from close range to keep hopes of a top-half finish alive.