Hornchurch hopes take a tumble
Smith sees red as Urchins lose
Hornchurch 0 Welling 3
Urchins were left fuming after falling to Conference South defeat in front of a crowd of 483 at Bridge Avenue.
The home side saw Lewis Smith sent off before half-time for two bookable offences, the first for diving when they thought he deserved a penalty.
Frankie Curley and Tambeson Eyong had their names taken by referee Wood inside the opening quarter of an hour, with Welling’s Loui Fazakerley also cautioned by the card-happy official.
You may also want to watch:
Hornchurch striker Wayne Gray saw a shot deflected behind for a corner and saw Sam Mott smother the ball at his feet as he looked to latch onto Eyong’s through ball.
Smith had his claims for a penalty when going down under the challenge of Jake Gallagher, but Wood waved away the protests and instead book the Hornchurch playmaker.
- 1 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 2 New social housing allocation system for Havering approved
- 3 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 4 'I don't feel safe': Mother who uses wheelchair calls for suitable home
- 5 Sewage floods home of family with one-day-old newborn after heavy rain
- 6 Fire and highwaymen: The history of Hornchurch's old archway
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Drains in area repeatedly flooded to be next inspected during bad weather
- 9 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 10 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
Welling broke the deadlock when a long ball fell kindly for Kieran Hughes-Mason to place it past Joe Woolley as Urchins looked for an offside flag.
And the home side were left with a mountain to climb a minute before the break when Smith was cautioned for a mistimed tackle and given his marching orders.
Rimmel Daniel replaced Elliot Styles during the interval and sent a shot over when Duran Reynolds headed an Andy Tomlinson free-kick into his path.
Daniel fired another effort wide from Gray’s cross but the Wings doubled their lead before the hour mark as Hughes-Mason run through the home defence unopposed and slotted home his second.
Leon McKenzie went close to a reply after good work from Eyong, while Mott grabbed Alex Bentley’s shot at the second attempt as Urchins kept searching for a way back into the match.
But the visitors made sure of the points with a third goal 18 minutes from time when Fazakerley headed home a left-wing cross.
And Daniel sent another attempt too high before late Hornchurch penalty claims were waved away after Duran Reynolds clashed with Mott.
Hornchurch: Woolley, Bentley, Reynolds, Tomlinson (May 58), Styles (Daniel 46), Noel, Eyong, Curley, McKenzie, Smith, Gray (Tuohy 68).