Hornchurch hopes hit
First defeat in 11 league games
Hornchurch lost for the first time in 11 Ryman Premier Division games when fellow play-off hopefuls Lowestoft Town triumphed 2-1 at Bridge Avenue yesterday.
Lowestoft started the better and were immediately rewarded with two quick goals from Dale Cockrill.
Thes first came in the second minute, Cockrill turning home a cross from winger Scott Mitchell, but his second was a gift from the home defence.
Tambeson Eyong’s attempted clearance was blocked by Joe Francis, the winger then crossing the ball straight to Rickie Hayles. But his clearance fell to Cockrill who steered the ball past Darren Behcet and into the corner of the net.
You may also want to watch:
Hayles atoned for his error by scoring Hornchurch’s goal early in the second half but the home side couldn’t get the crucial equaliser.
Lewis Smith came closest but his shot was saved by Andrew Reynolds from close range.
- 1 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 2 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 3 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 4 Rainham robbery: Boy, 14, suffers slash injury
- 5 Complaint over elderly woman facing homelessness among those ombudsman upheld in 2020/21
- 6 Harold Hill neighbours still feeling effects of freak flooding
- 7 12 Estates: How is the regeneration programme progressing?
- 8 Covid-19: Latest figures show almost 31,000 positive cases in Havering
- 9 Plans submitted to install 5G mast near Gallows Corner
- 10 'It was amazing': Birthday surprise vintage bus tour for woman with Down's syndrome
Both sides were reduced to 10 men during ten minutes of added time, due to numerous head injuries.
Firstly Lowestoft’s Mitchell was dismissed for a two-footed lunge and he was followed swiftly by Urchins substitute Joe Benjamin for an incident during the ensuing fracas.
Hornchurch turn their attentions to the Essex Senior Cup on Tuesday, when they visit Concord.
Romford saw their Ryman One North clash with Wingate postponed due to a waterlogged pitch at Mill Field.
Boro are due to visit Heybridge on Tuesday.