Hornchurch head for last eight
Urchins progress in Essex Senior Cup
Canvey 0 Hornchurch 2
Urchins booked their place in the quarter-finals with victory at Ryman Premier Division Canvey last night.
Following their weekend success at Conference South rivals Hayes, the visitors came under early pressure from the Gulls.
Leon Gordon headed straight at Joe Woolley on nine minutes and Bradley Woods-Garness saw an angled effort pushed behind by the keeper just past the half hour mark.
You may also want to watch:
Woods-Garness also fired a free-kick just wide, before sending a tame effort at Woolley before Urchins produced their best move of the first half just before the break.
Tambeson Eyong gained possession in midfield and spread the ball wide to Martin Tuohy, whose first-time cross was headed just over by Leon McKenzie.
- 1 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 2 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 3 New social housing allocation system for Havering approved
- 4 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 5 'I don't feel safe': Mother who uses wheelchair calls for suitable home
- 6 Fire and highwaymen: The history of Hornchurch's old archway
- 7 Sewage floods home of family with one-day-old newborn after heavy rain
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 10 Detectives appealing for witnesses to fatal collision near Upminster
Boss Jimmy McFarlane made two changes either side of the hour mark, with Alex Bentley and Andy Tomlinson replacing Rimmel Daniel and Sam Cutler.
And Urchins took the lead soon after when a ball in from the left was turned into his own net by Canvey defender Richard Orlu, with McKenzie waiting to pounce.
Bentley produced a timely block to deny Canvey an equaliser on 75 minutes, while Tuohy had a shot well saved at the other end.
But Urchins made sure late on when Tuohy found space in the box and found Tomlinson, who steered the ball home.
Hornchurch: Woolley, Love, Spencer, Cutler (Tomlinson 67), Styles, Noel, Eyong, Curley, McKenzie, Tuohy, Daniel (Bentley 57).