Hornchurch head for last eight
Urchins progress in Essex Senior Cup
Canvey 0 Hornchurch 2
Urchins booked their place in the quarter-finals with victory at Ryman Premier Division Canvey last night.
Following their weekend success at Conference South rivals Hayes, the visitors came under early pressure from the Gulls.
Leon Gordon headed straight at Joe Woolley on nine minutes and Bradley Woods-Garness saw an angled effort pushed behind by the keeper just past the half hour mark.
You may also want to watch:
Woods-Garness also fired a free-kick just wide, before sending a tame effort at Woolley before Urchins produced their best move of the first half just before the break.
Tambeson Eyong gained possession in midfield and spread the ball wide to Martin Tuohy, whose first-time cross was headed just over by Leon McKenzie.
- 1 Police investigating 'unexplained' death in Collier Row
- 2 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 3 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 4 Reward offered to help find iconic Noak Hill Laurel and Hardy statues
- 5 Pooches delight as new dog-friendly playground opens at Collier Row pub
- 6 Plan agreed to tackle persistent flooding in Abbs Cross Lane
- 7 Apology issued after council error sees pupils' fee multiplied by 100
- 8 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 9 Can you help find missing teenager last seen in Hornchurch?
- 10 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
Boss Jimmy McFarlane made two changes either side of the hour mark, with Alex Bentley and Andy Tomlinson replacing Rimmel Daniel and Sam Cutler.
And Urchins took the lead soon after when a ball in from the left was turned into his own net by Canvey defender Richard Orlu, with McKenzie waiting to pounce.
Bentley produced a timely block to deny Canvey an equaliser on 75 minutes, while Tuohy had a shot well saved at the other end.
But Urchins made sure late on when Tuohy found space in the box and found Tomlinson, who steered the ball home.
Hornchurch: Woolley, Love, Spencer, Cutler (Tomlinson 67), Styles, Noel, Eyong, Curley, McKenzie, Tuohy, Daniel (Bentley 57).