Hornchurch group raised more than �2,200 for hospice
A Hornchurch group has raised more than �2,200 for Little Havens Hospice.
The team of seven fundraisers known as the Awesome Oarsmen rowed 21 miles along the River Thames from the Docklands in east London to Ham in Surrey.
The team raised the money for the hospice, which cares for seriously ill children from across Essex, including Brentwood.
Crew member Kelly Brewer, 23, from Hornchurch, said: “Although the challenge was really strenuous we all really enjoyed taking part and rowing along the Thames for Little Havens.
“We decided to help this amazing charity as they really need and deserve our support. They have to raise �46,000 every week and we wanted to help make a contribution to that.”
You may also want to watch:
She was joined by her dad Peter, younger sisters Natasha and Siobhan and family friends Harry Fayers, George Fayers and Paul Dufourne. They trained for three months in preparation for the challenge.
Kelly added: “The race was really tough, especially as none of us are experienced rowers. It’ll was worth all the effort though to know that we will really be making a difference to the children and their families that Little Havens cares for.”
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 3 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 4 Case for release of Gallows Corner upgrade funds is in pipeline, TfL says
- 5 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for east London
- 6 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 7 120-home development on Harold Hill college site approved
- 8 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 9 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 10 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
Peter Hall, Little Havens community fundraiser, said, “We are so grateful to Kelly and the rest of her team for completing their amazing challenge. We are so impressed and inspired by their achievement - both on the water and with their fundraising. Without gifts from supporters like Kelly and her friends, Little Havens simply couldn’t exist.”
If you would still like to sponsor the team visit their online fundraising page at www.justgiving.com/GRR-team.