Hornchurch get friendly help
Urchins face Brentwood in hastily-arranged fixture
Hornchurch will take on Brentwood at Barking Football Club’s Mayesbrook Park base in a hastily-arranged pre-season friendly tomorrow (Tuesday, 7.45pm).
Originally due to visit Heybridge, Urchins were looking at a blank midweek when Swifts pulled out to play against a celebrity side instead.
But manager Jimmy McFarlane received a welcome phone call from an old friend and will now take a squad to play Ryman One North side Brentwood.
He said: “Andy Tomlinson rang to ask if we still wanted a game and it will be ideal for me to have a look at a few players.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ll play some of the younger guys who haven’t had lots of time. It will be a good opportunity for those who haven’t had too many minutes in games and it will give some of the more established players a rest.”
Urchins are unbeaten in six pre-season friendlies, following a 1-1 draw with Conference South new boys Tonbridge Angels last Thursday and a 3-1 win over a youthful West Ham XI on Saturday.
- 1 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months
- 2 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 3 Weekly Covid cases across east London revealed
- 4 Deep clean of Havering aims to get streets 'back to how they should be’
- 5 Mum opens Romford juice van to offer healthy snacks and drinks for kids
- 6 'Gentle giant' driven propped up on van's floor with serious head injury, inquest hears
- 7 'Cover up or terrible mistake?': Family told hostel death inquest will not take place
- 8 Gidea Park school to celebrate 100th birthday
- 9 Hornchurch pub licensing meeting postponed due to 'possibly prejudicial' email
- 10 Hornchurch man ‘lucky’ for rare disorder diagnosis, thanks to junior doctor
“I was extremely pleased with Saturday,” said McFarlane.
“Everyone I spoke to said it was a really good game to watch, with both sides looking to knock it about.”