Hornchurch get friendly help
Urchins face Brentwood in hastily-arranged fixture
Hornchurch will take on Brentwood at Barking Football Club’s Mayesbrook Park base in a hastily-arranged pre-season friendly tomorrow (Tuesday, 7.45pm).
Originally due to visit Heybridge, Urchins were looking at a blank midweek when Swifts pulled out to play against a celebrity side instead.
But manager Jimmy McFarlane received a welcome phone call from an old friend and will now take a squad to play Ryman One North side Brentwood.
He said: “Andy Tomlinson rang to ask if we still wanted a game and it will be ideal for me to have a look at a few players.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ll play some of the younger guys who haven’t had lots of time. It will be a good opportunity for those who haven’t had too many minutes in games and it will give some of the more established players a rest.”
Urchins are unbeaten in six pre-season friendlies, following a 1-1 draw with Conference South new boys Tonbridge Angels last Thursday and a 3-1 win over a youthful West Ham XI on Saturday.
- 1 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 2 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 3 Family of Harvey Tyrrell campaigning for stricter pub safety laws
- 4 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 5 Man jailed for drug offences and violent assaults in Romford flat
- 6 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
- 7 Memorial bench at hospital honours 'well-loved' medic
- 8 Petition launched by family of Harvey Tyrrell soars to 40,000 signatures
- 9 CCTV cameras to enforce new lorry ban through Rainham village
- 10 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
“I was extremely pleased with Saturday,” said McFarlane.
“Everyone I spoke to said it was a really good game to watch, with both sides looking to knock it about.”