Hornchurch end with a win
- Credit: Ray Lawrence/TGSPHOTO
Conference South: Hornchurch 2 Hayes 0
Two goals in three minutes from top scorer Martin Tuohy allowed Urchins to end their season on a winning note at Bridge Avenue.
But with relegation back to the Ryman League confirmed in midweek, it proved little consolation for Jimmy McFarlane’s men.
Captain Elliot Styles had called for a closing-day success, on the off-chance of the club earning a summer reprieve.
Rivals Farnborough went into administration on Friday, having 10 points deducted, and Urchins supporters will be keeping a close eye on their situation over the coming weeks and months.
You may also want to watch:
Hornchurch had lost six of their last seven league fixtures to slip into the bottom three.
And Hayes had the first chance of note on five minutes when John Goddard dragged his shot wide on five minutes.
- 1 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 2 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 3 Development coming to Havering: What plans were submitted, approved or rejected in recent months?
- 4 Havering's MPs mourn fatal stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
- 6 Mum fears gaping ceiling left by workers will 'collapse' on children
- 7 Women targeted in string of mobile phone thefts at Romford nightclub
- 8 Entry and exit wording on ground by Elm Park car park to be investigated
- 9 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 10 Romford's Jesy Nelson denies 'blackfishing' accusations
Alex Bentley’s cross found Tuohy, whose shot was turned wide by Brandon Hall, who also denied Kieron St Aimie on three separate occasions.
Simon Glover replaced Rickie Hayles during the break and Urchins took the lead eight minutes after the restart when Michael Spencer crossed from the right and Styles teed up Tuohy to slot home.
Tuohy doubled Hornchurch’s lead just two minutes later, sliding home a cross from the right from St Aimie for his 16th goal of the season.
St Aimie fired over before Tuohy made way for Wayne Gray with 16 minutes remaining.
And Gray went close to a third, before Frankie Curley’s speculative effort flew just wide and Urchins ended with 44 points, one adrift of Maidenhead and safety, but first in line for any reprieve should there be one.
Hornchurch: Woolley, Coyne, Spencer, Noel, Hayles (Glover 46), Styles, Bentley, Curley, Tuohy (Gray 74), St Aimie, Bourne (Eyong 71).