Hornchurch empty-handed again
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO
Ryman Premier: Leatherhead 2 Hornchurch 1
Hornchurch returned empty-handed from another Ryman Premier Division away-day as their search for a first win continued.
Manager Jimmy McFarlane handed new goalkeeper Sam Baxter a debut, after snapping him up from Bishop’s Stortford on Friday as cover for the unavailable Sam Mott, but he was soon picking the ball out of his own net.
Only five minutes had been played when a long ball found former Urchins striker Carl Rook, who chipped over Baxter for the first goal of the game.
Martin Tuohy had penalty appeals turned down soon after and was forced off with a groin injury, to be replaced by another debutant in Tobi Joseph.
You may also want to watch:
Alex Bentley’s fine tackle denied Ryan Dolby a chance, while Moses Ashikodi fired wide for the visitors at the other end.
Stacey Long fired straight at Baxter, before Courtney Homans ran onto Ashikodi’s pass but sent his effort well wide.
- 1 Shoppers and traders enjoy Romford market and high street in the sunshine
- 2 Man and woman assaulted at Upminster Station
- 3 Harold Wood residents delighted as deer graze outside their windows
- 4 Romford swimmer calls for volunteers to take plunge for hospice
- 5 Romford new age shop to reopen again after closure years ago
- 6 'I'm appalled at no-show bookings as pubs reopen'
- 7 Upminster student completes 4x4x48 Challenge for Saint Francis Hospice
- 8 Covid hospital admissions and deaths in stark decline, NHS trust data shows
- 9 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 10 Council cannot 'justify' stronger bollards after fifth crash in 18 months
Joseph had claims for a spot-kick ignored before George Purcell’s free-kick was tipped wide by Louis Wells.
But Urchins saw Ashikodi forced off with a back injury, to be replaced by Junior Dadson, before Joseph sent Purcell clear and his shot was deflected wide.
Homans crossed for Purcell, whose shot on the turn was turned past a post, before the Tanners doubled their lead on 72 minutes when Stacey Long beat Baxter formm the edge of the box.
Urchins hit back when Elliot Styles nodded on a free-kick and Dadson stabbed home.
But they could not force an equaliser, as Purcell fired over from Dadson’s cross and sent a late free-kick into the arms of Wells.
Hornchurch, with only one point from a possible 15 to date, will hope to open their account with victory against Grays at Aveley tomorrow.
Hornchurch: Baxter, Homas, Bentley, Styles, O Beckles, Curley, Starkey, Davis (Bourne 71), Tuohy (Joseph 19), Purcell, Ashikodi (Dadson 63).