Hornchurch close gap on leaders
Urchins keep up pressure
Hornchurch closed the gap on Ryman Premier Division leaders Billericay with a 2-0 win over Concord at Bridge Avenue.
The visitors went close early on as Steve King’s header was touched onto the crossbar by Joe Woolley, before Rickie Hayles headed off the line.
But Martin Tuohy put Urchins ahead on 19 minutes with his 23rd goal of the season, clipping the ball over Nicky Eyre after Leon McKenzie headed on Frankie Curley’s pass.
Eyre denied Hunt at a free-kick before Urchins had captain Elliot Styles controversially sent off on 33 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Concord captain Nicky Cowley went down off the ball and Styles was shown a straight red card by referee Aylott.
But the ten-men of Hornchurch doubled their lead early in the second half when Hunt’s free-kick from halfway was glanced on by McKenzie and fellow newcomer Fola Orilonishe claimed his first goal for the club with a thumping right-footed finish.
- 1 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 2 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 3 New social housing allocation system for Havering approved
- 4 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 5 'I don't feel safe': Mother who uses wheelchair calls for suitable home
- 6 Sewage floods home of family with one-day-old newborn after heavy rain
- 7 Fire and highwaymen: The history of Hornchurch's old archway
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Drains in area repeatedly flooded to be next inspected during bad weather
- 10 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
Concord hit a post late on, with former Urchin Harry Elmes putting the rebound wide.
But the scoreline remained unchanged as Hornchurch pulled to within three points of Billericay, who were held to a 1-1 draw by FA Trophy semi-finalists Wealdstone.
Urchins play their game in hand at home against Hastings tomorrow (Tuesday).