Hornchurch chairman finding it hard
McBride counts cost of big freeze
Hornchurch chairman Colin McBride was left to count the cost after seeing Monday’s clash with Aveley frozen off.
Romford’s Mill Field clash with Ilford was postponed earlier in the day, before the Bridge Avenue pitch failed a lunchtime inspection.
McBride said: “The pitch was rock hard. We had been clearing it, but there were a few ice and snow patches still on it and like everyone it has been a hard time.
“When you have games off on a Saturday or Bank Holiday, I would say it costs you about �1,000 every time.
You may also want to watch:
“Crowds aren’t as big in midweek and people don’t drink as much before and after the games on a Tuesday, like Saturdays.
“We’ve had a few functions off as well so from a financial point of view, it has been a hard month.”
- 1 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 2 Signals at Hornchurch 'crash hotspot' now under review
- 3 Sixth form denies knowledge of alleged A Level 'no confidence vote'
- 4 Ex-cop quizzed by police amid historic child sex investigation
- 5 Havering road and rail delays to look out for next week
- 6 Altered timetable means fewer fast trains between Romford and Liverpool Street
- 7 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 8 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 9 Best places to have a curry in Havering as chosen by readers
- 10 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months
Attempts to put the fixture back 24 hours also proved fruitless.
McBride added: “We asked them to put it back, but they said they had three or four players working.”