Hornchurch chairman finding it hard
McBride counts cost of big freeze
Hornchurch chairman Colin McBride was left to count the cost after seeing Monday’s clash with Aveley frozen off.
Romford’s Mill Field clash with Ilford was postponed earlier in the day, before the Bridge Avenue pitch failed a lunchtime inspection.
McBride said: “The pitch was rock hard. We had been clearing it, but there were a few ice and snow patches still on it and like everyone it has been a hard time.
“When you have games off on a Saturday or Bank Holiday, I would say it costs you about �1,000 every time.
You may also want to watch:
“Crowds aren’t as big in midweek and people don’t drink as much before and after the games on a Tuesday, like Saturdays.
“We’ve had a few functions off as well so from a financial point of view, it has been a hard month.”
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 3 Heritage: Is it Romford or Rumford? You decide
- 4 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 5 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 6 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 7 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 8 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 9 One teenager dead in Harold Wood triple stabbing
- 10 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?
Attempts to put the fixture back 24 hours also proved fruitless.
McBride added: “We asked them to put it back, but they said they had three or four players working.”