Hornchurch bred singer and author nominated for Essex entertainment awards
- Credit: Archant
An author of a book telling her tales of chasing celebrities has started chasing her own dreams, and has been nominated for two entertainment awards.
Born in Hornchurch, Leigh Phelan, who goes by the stage name Leigh Luscious, is in the running for best original single for debut song The Look, as well as best original artist.
“It’s amazing that my first song has been nominated and it means so much to me because writing is such a personal process,” she said.
Leigh has enjoyed writing her own music since she was a child, keeping all of her music in a diary.
She said: “I don’t really consider myself a singer but more of a writer. I just sing songs so they can add something to the music I create.”
You may also want to watch:
The singer-songwriter was obsessed with the world of celeb and made it her mission to meet as many as she could and even wrote a book all about what she found when she travelled across the country to see them.
But it was only after she met Jedward that she spotted X Factor’s Rylan Clark at his birthday party - and he then encouraged Leigh to try out the talent show for herself.
- 1 Havering households to be asked to participate in census
- 2 Police appeal after second fatal Rainham collision in less than a week
- 3 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 4 Deputy head: School's teachers have gone 'above and beyond' during Covid pandemic
- 5 Christmas Day babies to spend their first few weeks in lockdown
- 6 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 7 DAB radios donated to Queen's Hospital for those too weak to hold a phone
- 8 Netball club in 4,700 mile fundraising challenge to buy tablet for school or care home
- 9 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 10 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
She said: “I always dreamed of going on a show like that singing in front of the judges but when I actually did it, it felt so surreal!”
Leigh was given two yes votes and two no votes, so her journey on the show came to an end.
But she is now up for two awards and has also been asked to perform at the awards ceremony which will be held in Grays Town Hall in November, while The Look is currently number four in the request show top ten on internet radio station Atlantic Radio UK.
“I could not be happier with how it is all going,” Leigh admitted. “The song has been placed constantly on different stations since it was released and a lot of people are supporting it.”
For more information about her music, visit leighluscious.com