Hornchurch boss hails striker
Praise for matchwinner Smith
Jimmy McFarlane paid tribute to young Hornchurch striker Lewis Smith after his matchwinning goal at Hastings.
Smith ran from deep to fire past Clark Masters just past the hour as Urchins made it two league wins in four days and climbed up to eighth.
“It was a fantastic goal by Lewis,” said McFarlane. “I was thinking ‘release it, release it’ but he kept going, cut inside and it was a great finish.
“It was as comfy a 1-0 as you’ll see. We should’ve been 2-0 or 3-0 up at half-time and Darren [Behcet] hasn’t had a save to make.
You may also want to watch:
“We were defensively sound. The back four didn’t give them a chance and I think they’re a fair side.
“We didn’t start as I would’ve liked, but we got stronger and stronger,” added McFarlane.
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 3 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 4 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 5 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 6 Town centre app launches to entice shoppers to Romford
- 7 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 8 Romford Tesco Extra plants trees to offset car emissions
- 9 'I've never felt so excited' - Theatre company saved from collapse
- 10 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
“It’s a massive pitch and our front two worked so hard, they didn’t have a run left in them at the end. They look like a good pairing.”