Hornchurch boss hails striker
Praise for matchwinner Smith
Jimmy McFarlane paid tribute to young Hornchurch striker Lewis Smith after his matchwinning goal at Hastings.
Smith ran from deep to fire past Clark Masters just past the hour as Urchins made it two league wins in four days and climbed up to eighth.
“It was a fantastic goal by Lewis,” said McFarlane. “I was thinking ‘release it, release it’ but he kept going, cut inside and it was a great finish.
“It was as comfy a 1-0 as you’ll see. We should’ve been 2-0 or 3-0 up at half-time and Darren [Behcet] hasn’t had a save to make.
“We were defensively sound. The back four didn’t give them a chance and I think they’re a fair side.
“We didn’t start as I would’ve liked, but we got stronger and stronger,” added McFarlane.
- 1 Plan for homes next to listed Hornchurch water tower rumoured to cover monks’ escape tunnel
- 2 Construction company asks to make changes to approved 40-flat development in Romford
- 3 Man and woman arrested following Hornchurch stabbing
- 4 Fire crews free trapped driver after Hornchurch car crash
- 5 Rainham road closed as tactic to stop flytipping
- 6 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged or rejected in Havering
- 7 Mum-of-two honoured by US president Joe Biden
- 8 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 9 Woman 'slapped across face' in Brentwood restaurant
- 10 Two Havering councillors to stand down at next election
“It’s a massive pitch and our front two worked so hard, they didn’t have a run left in them at the end. They look like a good pairing.”