Hornchurch boss hails striker
Praise for matchwinner Smith
Jimmy McFarlane paid tribute to young Hornchurch striker Lewis Smith after his matchwinning goal at Hastings.
Smith ran from deep to fire past Clark Masters just past the hour as Urchins made it two league wins in four days and climbed up to eighth.
“It was a fantastic goal by Lewis,” said McFarlane. “I was thinking ‘release it, release it’ but he kept going, cut inside and it was a great finish.
“It was as comfy a 1-0 as you’ll see. We should’ve been 2-0 or 3-0 up at half-time and Darren [Behcet] hasn’t had a save to make.
You may also want to watch:
“We were defensively sound. The back four didn’t give them a chance and I think they’re a fair side.
“We didn’t start as I would’ve liked, but we got stronger and stronger,” added McFarlane.
- 1 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 2 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 3 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 4 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 5 Broken bus stop in Upminster to be repaired within 'few weeks'
- 6 Royal Mail apologises for Covid-related delays as pensioner reports no deliveries 'for weeks'
- 7 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 8 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 9 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 10 Hornchurch Covid woodland memorial gets residents' backing, survey says
“It’s a massive pitch and our front two worked so hard, they didn’t have a run left in them at the end. They look like a good pairing.”