Hornchurch avenge Angels defeat

McFarlane pleased with 3-1 success

Hornchurch gained full revenge over Ryman Premier rivals Tonbridge with a commanding 3-1 victory at Bridge Avenue.

After suffering a demoralising 7-1 defeat in Kent seven weeks ago manager Jimmy McFarlane was delighted with such a decisive performance from his side.

“It was a good win, I was well pleased,” said McFarlane.

“Every single one of them, even the ones who came on, were spot on and showed the defeat down there had hurt them.

“I think Tonbridge are a good side, so it was a brilliant win.”

The first few minutes were frantic, with the ball spending a great deal of time in the air as the sides felt each other out.

Most Read

It took quarter of an hour before the first chance materialised, but Lewis Smith unable to get his shot on target.

Urchins took control of the game and applied pressure on the Angels goal. Jonathan Hunt connected with a Martin Tuohy cross, but his shot was saved by Lee Worgan, and Rickie Hayles couldn’t quite get a header under the bar from a corner.

The breakthrough came in the 37th minute.

Smith received the ball on the edge of the area, turned quickly and fired towards goal. Worgan could only parry into the path of Tuohy, who gladly finished the chance.

Urchins doubled their lead early in the second half and Smith was again the provider, attacking right-back Jon Heath and beating him to the byline before pulling the ball back perfectly for Dave Collis to slide home.

Tonbridge struggled all day to penetrate the home defence, with Elliot Styles and Ronnie Fletcher proving too strong for the Angels’ forwards.

And the home side got on the score sheet again with the best goal of the day after 71 minutes.

Tambeson Eyong picked up the ball in his own half and ran at the Tonbridge defence, passing would-be tacklers with ease. He carried the ball into the penalty area, brushing aside yet more challenges, before crossing towards the far post and, although Smith couldn’t quite reach the ball, Michael Spencer had shown great pace to stay with Eyong and timed his run to perfection to slam the ball past Worgan.

Angels pulled a goal back five minutes later when Dave McSweeney was adjudged to have fouled an opponent in the box and referee Forrester pointed to the spot, allowing Frannie Collin to set up a tense final 15 minutes.

Jittery Urchins began commit needless fouls and gift chances to the visitors but, thanks to some last-ditch defending and a smart reaction save from Darren Behcet to deny Chris Piper, they protected their lead.

And, now unbeaten in eight matches, Urchins will make the long trip to Devon today (Friday) in good spirits for their FA Trophy tie at Bideford.

Hornchurch: Behcet, McSweeney, Styles, Fletcher, Hayles, Eyong, Collis, Hunt (Tomlinson 80), Spencer, Tuohy, Smith (Coyne 90+2).