Heroes rescue woman ‘seconds from death’
A PART-TIME lodger and a passing motorbiker saved the life of a woman who was seconds from death when they pulled her from a fire in her Romford home.
Chris Grubb, 45, dragged Moira Drewry from her smoke-filled bedroom and pumped her chest when she stopped breathing – actions that prevented a tragedy on Monday afternoon (October 11).
English teacher Chris, from Edinburgh, stays with Moira three or four times a year while he is on motorbiking holidays.
Former nurse Moira, 53, said: “He’s staying at my house for about three weeks this time and if he hadn’t have been here I would definitely be dead.
“Doctors said if I’d have been in the room for a few seconds longer I would have died from carbon monoxide poisoning.”
Chris was working on his bike in the garden of the Mawney Road home when he heard the sound of smoke alarms going off, but by the time he had reached Moira’s bedroom the air was already thick with smoke.
“I couldn’t see a thing,” he said. “I had to get air three times before I finally managed to find Moira on the ground and drag her out.
- 1 Campion pupil Thorne chasing Commonwealth Games glory
- 2 'Totally gutted’: Hornchurch nightclub owner vows to appeal after opening hours extension refused
- 3 Upminster fire: 80 firefighters tackle grassland blaze as warm weather continues
- 4 Kem Cetinay: Love Island star offers ‘deepest condolences’ after fatal motorcycle collision
- 5 Romford World Naked Bike Ride: How protest sits at the heart of the nude cycle
- 6 Motorcyclist dies after collision with car on Shepherds Hill
- 7 Solution to blaze hotspot in Rainham may take 'some time' to find, residents warned
- 8 ‘It winds me up’: Cleanliness of Romford’s South Street slammed
- 9 Hornchurch police station: No movement on purchase plan as assurances sought about station's future
- 10 Forests between Dagenham and Brentwood to benefit from mass plantations amid £40 million investment
“She had stopped breathing, so I thumped her hard on the chest and she came back.
“Her mouth was so dark it looked like she had swallowed a tin of boot polish!”
Chris was helped by passer-by Martin Hegg, 45, of nearby Birch Close, who was returning from work on his green Kawasaki when he saw the drama and helped drag Moira to safety.
Martin, an IT consultant, said: “It was a gut reaction to go and help. I would expect anybody to do the same.
“I’m over the moon that everything worked out in the end.”
Moira said: “They’re my heroes. I will never be able to thank them enough for what they did.”
The fire was started when Moira fell asleep while smoking in her bed.
Chris added: “The fire brigade were on the scene in about four minutes and they took over.
“They were so calm. I really want to thank them for their help.”