Flashback: Romford Carnival protestors, a pony blinded and a thug jailed

PUBLISHED: 10:00 25 March 2018

60-years-ago. Picture: Romford Library

60-years-ago. Picture: Romford Library

Romford Library

A look back at the biggest local stories from this day 20, 40 and 60 years ago.

40-years-ago. Picture: Romford Library40-years-ago. Picture: Romford Library


Strong protests met Romford Carnival Comm-ittee’s plans for an air race and a display of aerobatic stunts near Raphael Park.

Women living near the park considered the idea dangerous.

Carnival organisers assured them, however, that stringent security pre-cautions were being taken and that the three planes taking part were small, slow-flying machines to be handled by experienced pilots.

20-years-ago. Picture: Romford Library20-years-ago. Picture: Romford Library

The first voice raised in protest was from Miss H Atfield, of Kingston Road, Romford, which is only a five minute walk from the park.

She said: “I’m really horrified by the idea”.

“I hope there will be many others of the same opinion, I think such a thing is very wrong over a built-up area.”


Cold blooded thugs blinded a pet pony in one eye in a callous airgun attack.

Louts tethered the pony to a stake in a secluded spot in a Rainham field and then shot the animal in the eye and back legs. It was found with blood pouring from its wounds.

The three-year-old pony called Champ was believed to have been in agony for hours before it was found by friends Pat Barlow and Karen Reason.

Pat said: “Whoever fired the shots must have been a maniac.”

Champ’s heartbroken owner 16-year-old Joanne Lipscomb-Glen, of Dagenham, who suffered from a bone disease, was in hospital at the time having an operation.

Her mum. said: “If I ever found out who did it I would possible feel like killing them.”


A thug was jailed for 16 years for launching a callous acid attack on a rival who was then shot by a mystery gunman dressed as a clown as he was recovering in a Billericay hospital.

Darren Kerr, 28, formerly of St Mary’s Lane, Upminster, was left disfigured and blind in one eye after having acid sprayed in his face and beaten.

While Mr Kerr, who went into hiding at a secret address, was in the Billericay Burns Unit after the acid attack, an unknown gunman dressed as a clown shot him in the shoulder after pulling a shotgun from under a bunch of flowers.

His acid attacker, who denied charges of grievous bodily harm with intent and false imprisonment, smiled as he was found guilty after the Old Bailey jury deliberated for more than nine hours.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder