Heavy defeat for Hornchurch
Wings complete festive double over Urchins
Welling 4 Hornchurch 0
Urchins fell to their second defeat in six days against the high-flying Wings.
Beaten 3-0 at Bridge Avenue on Boxing Day, Jimmy McFarlane’s men found themselves two goals down inside 15 minutes of their return meeting in south London.
And there was no recovering from that slow start, as the hosts added a third before the break and completed a convincing victory midway through the second half.
You may also want to watch:
Elliot Styles had an early shot saved by Sam Mott before Welling opened the scoring on 11 minutes.
Jack Obersteller sent a free-kick into the box and when Urchins failed to clear, Anthony Acheampong converted at the far post.
- 1 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 2 Man charged with multiple child exploitation offences to stand trial
- 3 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 4 Coffee shop apologises for 'mis-post' offering kitten as Christmas prize
- 5 Future of bus route hangs in the balance as consultation ends
- 6 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 7 BHRUT 'determined to learn' after inquest finds failures in pensioner's care before her death
- 8 West Ham legend Sir Trevor Brooking supports charity golf day
- 9 Free holiday swimming sessions return for Havering schoolchildren
- 10 Road and rail: Disruptions to watch out for in Havering next week
Wayne Gray saw a shot deflected wide, before the home side doubled their advantage on the quarter hour mark as Joe Healy’s long ball sent Jake Gallagher away to beat Joe Woolley.
And Lewis Smith fired an effort beyond the upright, after cutting inside from the left as the visitors looked for a quick reply.
Welling went 3-0 up on 40 minutes when Loui Fazakerley’s corner found Acheampong at the far post to nod home his second goal of the game.
And Hornchurch’s miserable day was completed when Lee Clarke headed home a fourth on 67 minutes.
Hornchurch: Woolley, Bentle, Reynolds, Tomlinson (Love 46), Goodacre, Noel, Eyong, Gray (Fletcher 69), McKenzie (Tuohy 63), Smith, Styles.