Woman who battles cancer raises £18,000 to help others
- Credit: Archant
A Brentwood woman who has battled three cancers for four years has raised £18,000 for charity.
Karen Lane, 48, was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2009 and had surgery to remove it.
In 2010, she was diagnosed with liver cancer and had surgery the same year.
But she had to stay in hospital for two months due to an infection after the operation.
Spread to lungs
The following year, the cancer appeared in her lung and, in 2012, it had spread to both lungs. She has had surgery to remove the tumour and is awaiting the results next week.
Karen, who lives in The Gardens, Doddinghurst, said: “It is growing – but very slowly and it has travelled to so many places.
- 1 Property spotlight: Property prices rocket around Premier League team's training ground
- 2 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 3 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 4 'Crucial' consultation begins on proposed changes to Lower Thames Crossing project
- 5 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Havering
- 6 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Here are five top-rated delicious 'cheap eats' in Havering, according to Tripadvisor
- 8 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 9 Have your say: End of consultation on plans for 860 Romford homes looms
- 10 As many as 15 injured in Gidea Park bus crash
“I have got through it because of my fantastic family. When I’m ill, I can’t get out of bed. But when I am well, I keep busy because I have so much to do.”
She decided to keep busy and take her mind off her illness by setting up a firm Ab Fab Catering. The company catered for Remus Horse Sanctuary, near Ingatestone, which was visited by the Countess of Wessex earlier this month.
Karen also raises money for Cancer Research through Race for Life and two annual charity events in December.
Flame of Hope award
She has raised £18,000 for Cancer Research and was recently given a Flame of Hope award for her fundraising efforts.
She said: “I started fundraising with Race for Life in 2009 and I was touched after listening to the people I met during the race.
“It spurred me on to raise more money for Cancer Research. I just want them to find a cure for cancer as soon as possible. That’s why I try to raise money so that it can help as many people as possible.”
n To support Karen’s fundraising efforts, call 01277 822066 or email Abfabcatering@live.com.