Woman who battles cancer raises £18,000 to help others
- Credit: Archant
A Brentwood woman who has battled three cancers for four years has raised £18,000 for charity.
Karen Lane, 48, was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2009 and had surgery to remove it.
In 2010, she was diagnosed with liver cancer and had surgery the same year.
But she had to stay in hospital for two months due to an infection after the operation.
Spread to lungs
You may also want to watch:
The following year, the cancer appeared in her lung and, in 2012, it had spread to both lungs. She has had surgery to remove the tumour and is awaiting the results next week.
Karen, who lives in The Gardens, Doddinghurst, said: “It is growing – but very slowly and it has travelled to so many places.
- 1 'Disgraceful': Ex-estate agent sentenced for Chris Whitty assault
- 2 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 3 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens plead not guilty to murder
- 4 Harold Hill man pleads guilty to Chris Whitty assault
- 5 Lower Thames Crossing: How would Upminster be affected?
- 6 Road and rail disruptions coming up over the coming week
- 7 Meet the Olympians from east London and Brentwood
- 8 Romford ‘best in region’ chef shares his cooking tip and favourite dish
- 9 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 10 'Unexplained' Collier Row death 'not believed to be suspicious'
“I have got through it because of my fantastic family. When I’m ill, I can’t get out of bed. But when I am well, I keep busy because I have so much to do.”
She decided to keep busy and take her mind off her illness by setting up a firm Ab Fab Catering. The company catered for Remus Horse Sanctuary, near Ingatestone, which was visited by the Countess of Wessex earlier this month.
Karen also raises money for Cancer Research through Race for Life and two annual charity events in December.
Flame of Hope award
She has raised £18,000 for Cancer Research and was recently given a Flame of Hope award for her fundraising efforts.
She said: “I started fundraising with Race for Life in 2009 and I was touched after listening to the people I met during the race.
“It spurred me on to raise more money for Cancer Research. I just want them to find a cure for cancer as soon as possible. That’s why I try to raise money so that it can help as many people as possible.”
n To support Karen’s fundraising efforts, call 01277 822066 or email Abfabcatering@live.com.