Woman, 29, unable to have baby naturally after Queen’s Hospital doctors miss ectopic pregnancy
- Credit: Archant
Emergency surgery has left a 29-year-old woman unable to conceive a baby naturally after Queen’s Hospital after doctors missed her ectopic pregnancy.
The Romford hospital’s chief executive has vowed that a thorough investigation will be carried out into the patient’s care.
Kelly Luscombe-Sarter claims she nearly died last week as the result of the severe internal bleeding, due to her carrying a baby outside of her womb, she experienced two weeks after doctors had told her she had a complete miscarriage.
“If they noticed in the first place it would’ve been a simple operation and this would never have happened. I would still be able to have kids the normal way,” she said.
But doctors had to remove her remaining Fallopian tube in order to excise the foetus. She lost her the other when she was two weeks old.
You may also want to watch:
Miss Luscombe-Sarter, who moved from Romford to Shevon Way, Brentwood, last year, first visited the Rom Valley Way hospital on June 2 after she experienced pain and heavy bleeding after intercourse.
She received blood tests and a scan the doctor told her on June 10 it was likely she had a complete miscarriage.
- 1 Ex-councillor ordered to undo unauthorised green belt building works
- 2 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 3 Harold Hill neighbours still feeling effects of freak flooding
- 4 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 5 Covid-19: Latest figures show almost 31,000 positive cases in Havering
- 6 'I'm terrified': Woman calls on council to move her to new accommodation
- 7 Complaint over elderly woman facing homelessness among those ombudsman upheld in 2020/21
- 8 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 9 Romford woman arrested on suspicion of illegal money lending
- 10 'It was amazing': Birthday surprise vintage bus tour for woman with Down's syndrome
On June 16 she returned after she was continually in agony. “They didn’t bother with a scan, they said it was a possible infection and sent me on my way but I was still in agony,” she said.
As the pain worsened she returned on June 18 when the doctor noticed the internal bleeding and the ectopic pregnancy.
“It’s really awful - they didn’t miss it once they missed it three times,” she said.
“If it wasn’t for me going back there I wouldn’t be here any more.
“I can understand they are short staff but this is just not on.
“I want compensation, when I go for IVF in the future, I will have to pay for it.”
Chief executive Matthew Hopkins said: “This must be a very distressing time for Miss Luscombe-Sarter and I will ensure that a full and thorough investigation is carried out into the care that she received.
“We take patient safety extremely seriously, and strive to be an open and honest organisation, so we would always encourage patients to contact us to discuss any concerns they might have.
“I hope that Miss Luscombe-Sarter will meet with us once an investigation has been carried out so that we can share our findings with her and any learnings or improvements that might be necessary.”